Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group is one of the world’s top ten property/casualty insurance carriers with over 18,000 employees worldwide. Our US subsidiary, Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management (MSMM), currently has an opportunity available for a Sr. Risk Engineering Consultant to work remote in San Francisco, CA.
You will be responsible for contributing to corporate goals of growth and profitability through the active participation in the account acquisition and retention process. Perform complete risk evaluations of accounts and prospects to identify exposures, evaluate controls and active pursuit of recommendation compliance. Establish focused risk improvement process through a consultative approach including the identification of client needs, establishing service plans that eliminate loss causes and actively assists clients with best practices focused on achieving their business goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform complete risk evaluations for Multinational and Domestic multi-line accounts to identify client exposures and evaluate controls. Create written reports of risk evaluation and improvement activities on a timely basis and develop risk improvement recommendations to reduce client exposures to loss. Ensure timely compliance with risk improvement recommendations and communicate status to MSIG staff as needed.
- Effectively communicate technical regulations and safety protocols during the Risk Engineering Survey process and convey the desirability of the risk to underwriting and ensure all customers receive high quality work products.
- Provide quality client management by identifying opportunities for risk improvement through an effective symptom questioning process
- Perform loss trend analyses to measure impact to the client and identify opportunities for improvement in risk.
- Develop risk improvement recommendations and perform required follow up to ensure timely and effective compliance.
- Ensure client needs are identified and satisfied by continuous interaction with Underwriting, Marketing, Claims, and other MSIG business units as needed.
- Develop and market focused consultative service plans to improve client exposure to business loss through a Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely (S.M.A.R.T) objective process to provide measure improvement through outcomes of services.
- Participate with Claims in large loss investigations to identify and eliminate loss cause(s). Works with HO Technical Manager to Create “Lessons Learned” document and work with other Risk Engineering staff to recognize issues and prevent recurrences.
- Ensure all multi-location account sites receive consistent services that satisfy corporate client expectations.
- Act as a technical resource to Risk Engineering customers to provide quality risk management solutions.
- Promote Risk Engineering services to the producer community and prospective accounts in order to write new business.
The right candidate will have the following:
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) from a four year college or university required with an academic focus on Occupational Safety and Health, or Risk Management is preferred. Strong experience in the insurance and/or general industry loss prevention experience required including related loss prevention experience including:
1. Loss Prevention engineering and fire safety technology proficiency.
2. A commensurate level of knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and other similar technical standards, along with a working knowledge of commercial property and casualty insurance coverage’s, and risk evaluation techniques.
3. In-depth understanding of moderate to large sized industrial or warehousing operations.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical manuals, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate and relate with people of all levels within and outside the organization.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Must be able to calculate areas of buildings, graph information, etc.
Ability to analyze and define problems, collect and report data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to read and understand technical bulletins, regulatory requirements, blueprints, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong knowledge of office software including: Word Processing, Excel, Email, internet and Risk Engineering work
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
Professional designation including: ASP, CSP, SFPE, CFPS, ARM, ALCM, CAE, or CIE are recommended; No licensing required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Must have strong organizational and planning skills. Must have the ability to perform moderate testing in industrial hygiene, fire protection and ergonomic analysis. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and travel the territory by driving and/or flying on commercial airlines.
Must have the physical capability of performing on-site client inspections including climbing ladders, handling uneven terrain, etc.
Estimated travel 30% of the time on all forms of transportation. Overnight travel is routine.
Must have a valid Driver’s License.
We are committed to providing the highest quality products and services to our customers. We are dedicated to a set of core values that directs our actions and decisions: Corporate Quality - Customer Focus - Integrity - Clear and Open Communication - Teamwork and Accountability - Committed to maintaining a positive work environment and culture for our employees, family and community.
Mitsui Sumitomo offers a wide range of benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Monster - 30+ days ago