Manage the Facility Attendant and CTRB Primate Technicians to build competence by conducting appropriate training activities and through appropriate supervisory-related activities (e.g. interviewing and staff selection, schedules, performance appraisal and coaching activities, disciplinary actions, separation, etc.).
Advise the clinical/attending veterinarian regarding NHP health and care issues.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Project Manager (APM), provide daily direction and oversight for the CTRB animal husbandry staff on Operations and Facility issues. Specific responsibilities include investigating operational issues, gathering information and details, compiling the information, and submitting/presenting it along with recommendation(s) for resolution to the PM/AMP.
Assist in creating the husbandry work schedule for the daily cage changing procedures as well as the additional duty assignments.
Participate in interviews and recommend selection of candidates for husbandry positions. Outline the job responsibility of animal care staff, including CHOP policies, procedures and the daily husbandry duties as required
In coordination with Management and Human Resources, participate in additional personnel actions including but not limited to performance assessment, transfers/promotions, counseling, discipline, dismissal, rewards/recognition and/or responding to employee concerns.
Assist the Training Specialist in training all new hires in the duties and responsibilities of animal care and facility operations, including, but not limited to; cage changing, micro-isolator cage changing techniques, utilization of semi-rigid isolators, room sanitation, autoclave operation, cagewash operations, waste disposal and other husbandry duties as required.
In the absence of the ARC Floor Leader or as directed by Management, oversee the daily activities of the ARC staff to ensure completion of all required duties.
Participate as required in the development of projections for equipment, supplies and personnel needed to effectively operate the research facilities in a manner consistent with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and all local, state and federal requirements.
Maintain necessary supply and equipment inventory to ensure the day-to-day operation of the animal care program, including; feed/bedding, sanitation supplies, office supplies, cage equipment, autoclave supplies and other supplies and equipment as needed. Assists with the receipt and stocking of supply inventory.
Oversee and assist with weekly facility scanning and manual census.
Conduct daily animal and procedure room inspections to assess the animals’ health and cage environment and determine the degree to which established levels of animal health, facility condition, sanitation levels, environmental parameters and security are being met/ exceeded. Perform all related paperwork and record keeping.
Assist the PM/APM to ensure weekly census (scanned and manually) are conducted in a timely manner, as outline by the client.
Provide quality assurance to include animal health surveillance, monitoring of effectiveness of facility sanitation, as well as internal facility reports for monitoring deviations from pre-established facility parameters.
As needed, monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health
observations, animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Maintain accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas as required by Institute and facility.
- Assist with restraints, handing and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Supervisor or facility veterinarian.
- Receive, inspect and put away incoming animal; ensures and provides for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
- Perform technical functions requires by research protocol, such as daily clinical observations and health examinations of sick animals, prior to reporting adverse finding to Clinical Veterinarian.
- Dispose of animal carcasses following established procedures.
- Maintain facility equipment and perform routine preventative maintenance on cagewash and autoclaves, including routine inspection of cleaning filters and roto-arms.
- Strictly follow all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or semi-rigid isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry; personnel protective equipment use, spraying in all equipment and materials into controlled areas.
- Maintain consistent practice of general company and safety policies and procedures and MSDS guidelines, including those related to biohazards and radioactive substances. Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines; perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures. Performs all duties in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Coordinate operations with the assistance of staff support departments and personnel.
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific areas.
- Maintain required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed.
- Support and affirm the company policy of Equal Opportunity through Affirmative Action. .
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; preference will be given to BS degree in animal sciences or management.
Experience: Three or more year’s related multi-species (e.g., rodents, rabbits, dogs, pigs, aquatics, primates and small ruminants) animal care and handling experience, including one year of management. Working experience with facility and equipment in a regulatory controlled environment, experience with a variety of animal species.
Charles River Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.
Charles River Laboratories - 17 months ago
Chickens and rats have an important part to play in Charles River Laboratories International's specialty portfolio of medical products....