Under the direction of the County Attorney or the Senior Assistant County Attorney, serve as a legal representative and adviser for Bernalillo County.
Duties and Responsibilities
Act as a legal adviser for the County, working with elected officials, department directors and other individuals who require legal advice.
Review drafts of ordinances, resolutions, contracts, administrative policies, rules and regulations and other written documents required in the operation of County government for compliance with legal requirements.
Draft legally defensible documents for the approval by the County Attorney or Senior Assistant County Attorney.
Research and write opinions in regard to case law and/or administrative practices at the request of the County Attorney and Senior Assistant County Attorney.
Review policy and policy initiatives to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
Prosecute criminal and civil cases in Metropolitan Court and District Court. Represent the County in criminal and civil litigation and appellate work and prosecute criminal cases for the County, as required and represent County management and/or designated clients.
*The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Juries Doctor degree from an accredited academic institution with a valid license to practice law in the State of New Mexico.
Two (2) years experience in the practice of law which includes litigation and appellate experience and the coordination of multiple issues relevant to areas assigned.
Demonstrate a “good standing” with the New Mexico State Supreme Court.
Knowledge of laws and concepts relevant to the operations of county and state government.
Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.
Screening and Compliance
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination.
Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
Employee must be current with minimum continuing legal educational requirements and state license requirements.
Indoor duties are performed in a temperature-controlled environment.
Indoor duties are typically performed on an even and dry surface, which may be carpeted or tiled.
Most duties are performed alone. May perform certain duties as part of a select team of individuals.
Equipment, Tools and Materials
Equipment used in performing duties includes: computer, telephone, calculator, facsimile machine, and photocopy machine.
Materials and products handled in performance of duties include: various documents, writing utensils and an assortment of office supplies and equipment.
Functional Analysis, Mental & Physical Functions:
**NOTE: You are not required to disclose information about physical or mental limitations that you believe will not interfere with your capability to do the job. On the other hand, if you want the employer to consider special arrangements to accommodate a physical or mental impairment, you may identify that impairment in the space provided and suggest the kind of accommodation that you believe would be appropriate.
- Employee must be able to correctly judge situations and determine appropriate actions to be taken.
- Must be able to generate reports and documents which are technically correct and in the proper format.
- Must exercise an understanding of the principles, practices and techniques of legal procedures.
- Must possess the ability to research, interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures and make recommendations for the resolution of legal problems.
- Must possess the ability to analyze data; present ideas effectively; communicate policies and procedures to department directors, employees and the general public; and obtain and maintain the confidence and cooperation of others.
- Must possess the ability to set priorities.
- Work is primarily sedentary, with opportunities to stand/walk as needed typically being available throughout the workday.
- Must be able to bend at the waist and twist/rotate as necessary.
- Must be able to work with arms bent or extended away from body or overhead and be able to push/pull with arms as needed.
- Must be able to crouch and kneel as necessary.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers in order to grasp/manipulate various equipment and materials needed to perform essential duties.
- Must be able to coordinate use of hands and eyes in operation of equipment, such as computer and calculator.