The Keauhou-Kahalu’u Education Group provides ‘aina-based educational programs delivered through culture-based instructional strategies in West Hawai’i, with an emphasis on KS’ cultural and land assets in the ahupua’a of Keauhou and Kahalu’u. KKEG’s programs include Hui Kaha Pohaku (Plane Table Mapping), Kia’i ‘Aina Kualoloa (Leadership and Environmental Stewardship Development), and Huaka’i Kahalu’u (A place-based educational approach to strengthening families). Other programs in the areas of leadership development, environmental stewardship, and cultural practices will continue to be developed in the future. KKEG’s programs are implemented in partnership with the DOE, Public Charter Schools, other KS Programs, and various community-based organizations who deliver programs in related fields and disciplines (collectively “Collaborators”). KKEG’s programs are also intended, over time, to create a distinctive Hawaiian cultural presence within the Keauhou Resort thereby enhancing KS’ Endowment-related interests in West Hawai’i.
The Education Program Administrator (EPA) is responsible for the operational coordination and administration of all KKEG programs that includes budget management, program logistics (e.g., scheduling, ensuring site readiness, scheduling and monitoring maintenance and other contractors, etc.), managing inventory of program materials and supplies, and reporting. Working in conjunction with other KKEG staff, the EPA is also involved in the planning of program delivery and new program development, and the drafting and updating of all program documentation. As part of the KKEG team the EPA works closely with all KKEG Collaborators and community groups to design, plan, develop, enhance, and modify eco-cultural educational activities that increase asset value, provide appropriate stewardship of KS’ natural and cultural resources, and offer positive experiences to achieve KS’ mission.
The EPA reports to the Vice President of the Keauhou-Kahalu’u Education Group.
Tactical Planning and Program Implementation
Responsible for the tactical planning and implementation of KKEG education programs and activities in collaboration with KKEG Staff and Collaborators. Is responsible for all logistical tasks to ensure program delivery and quality as well as asset stewardship including school, collaborator, and vendor coordination (e.g., landscaping, maintenance, scheduling buses, etc.). Working with the KKEG Fiscal Officer and other team members, assists with developing and tracking program budgets, decision metrics, guidelines, performance measures, assessment tools, and outcomes. Participates in the development and dissemination of educational resources, curriculum, and support materials associated with KKEG programs. Responsible for keeping all program documentation and curriculum materials current.
Program Development, Alignment, and Integration
In collaboration with KKEG Staff and Collaborators assist with the designing, planning, development, enhancement, and modification of eco-cultural educational activities to increase asset value, provide appropriate stewardship of KS’ natural resources, and offer positive experiences to meet KS’ mission. Recommend and apply policies and procedures to support effective program implementation. Provide strategic and tactical direction for integration of educational and asset stewardship activities within KKEG, across KS, and with Collaborators. Responsible for maintaining alignment of KKEG educational initiatives with KS strategic and tactical plans and foci. Review and maintain program approach to address institutional mandates, asset management priorities, and target audience need. Conduct research and benchmarking to identify and analyze eco-cultural education peer programs and industry practices. Review KKEG portfolio and assess and recommend potential for delivery of educational services including consideration of accessibility, availability, facilities, unique natural and cultural features, social capital, and community demographics.
Communication and Information Management
In collaboration with KKEG staff, develop a database to track and evaluate KKEG initiatives, place- and culture- based learning opportunities, program collaborations, audiences served, and tracking of program progress and outcomes. Maintain the KKEG database by collecting and inputting all core data including but not limited to attendance, min six items, and leaner performance measures. Maintain KKEG’s website. Make oral and written presentations to various audiences to increase awareness of KKEG programs and facilitate Collaborator relationships. Attend public and interest group meetings regarding program opportunities, development, related issues, and community activities. In collaboration with KKEG Staff develop site interpretation programs and conduct on-site presentations for KS staff and programs, community program providers, and interest, practitioner and Hawaiian organizations.
Financial Management, Monitoring and Reporting
Assists KKEG’s VP, Staff, and Fiscal Officer with managing, monitoring and reporting on financial and program activities for each assigned program or project, including annual budgeting, operating statements, periodic variance analysis, periodic standard reports, cost control, risk management, expenditures and returns for community programs, statistical analysis, quarterly and annual activities reports, and balanced scorecard.
Other Position Responsibilities
1. Provides guidance to other KS Education and Endowment programs related to place-based and culture-based learning opportunities. Conduct reviews of transactions and proposed actions to determine relation and impact to KS’ educational opportunities.
2. Professional development and training
3. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Over 3 – less than 5 years of related work experience.
- Must have experience and be proficient working with external parties (students, educators, community groups, Hawaiian organizations, etc.) to develop and execute educational, cultural, environmental, and community programs.
- Must understand and have demonstrated proficiency with developing, implementing and monitoring educational curriculum, programs and activities with a focus on place-based, culture-based, project-based, environmental, and/or alternative experiences.
- Must be knowledgeable of industry trends in educational programming, monitoring and evaluation methods, and assessment tools and practices.
- Must be knowledgeable in Hawaiian geography, traditional land uses, cultural practices and the Hawaiian language.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to develop and nurture relationships with various internal and external publics and individuals.
- Must have excellent presentation, oral communication, writing skills and financial skills to provide estimates, summaries and calculations.
- Must be able to coordinate a diverse group of individuals and ideas.
- Must be able to prioritize and manage multiple activities simultaneously; be able to meet deadlines, and to work independently.
- Must have working knowledge of standard office machines to include personal computers and key software skills in Microsoft Office.
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to work in teams and diverse social environments.
- Experience with culture- and place-based education programs in Hawai‘i.
- Experience working with Hawaiian communities, agencies and organizations towards collaborative programs and goals.
- Experience with natural resource management and stewardship efforts in Hawai‘i.
- Experience with community-based economic development opportunities in Hawai‘i.
- Working knowledge of operations, processes and policies of large institutional organizations.
- Ability to converse in the Hawaiian language.
- Experience in Indigenous issues, fellowships, and research.
- Practitioner level experience in Hawaiian cultural traditions, customs, or disciplines.
Bachelors Degree (required) or Masters Degree (preferred)
Kamehameha Schools - 2 years ago
Kamehameha Schools provides an education fit for a king ... or queen. The private charitable trust was founded and endowed by Princess...