Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
If cars are your thing, Garmin has your team. The worldwide leader in satellite navigation is making inroads in automotive OEM (original equipment manufacturer). This quickly expanding, award-winning market includes a broad range of in-vehicle electronics, including automotive grade infotainment and telematics systems, navigation software, location-based services and integrated portable navigation systems. We’re looking for self-motivated, confident and passionate engineers to help us deliver our intuitive navigation experience and other exciting in-car technologies to auto manufacturers around the globe.
We are looking for a full time
Senior Software Engineer
who is interested in working in a QNX environment on high-end processors to provide technical leadership and project planning for software development for the
next generation of navigation and infotainment systems at our office located in Chandler, AZ.
In addition to serving as a Lead Software Engineer for complex software development projects or acting as a Team Lead in software development in C++, Java, or C, Auto OEM Software Engineers will design and/or review architected modules and software systems supporting new technology or improving capability/performance of existing functionality.
Senior Software Engineers on the Auto OEM team will also:
• Decomposes functional requirements into well defined tasks
• Researches fundamental problems and implements algorithm solutions that are appropriate
• Balances quality, quantity and complexity in work output
• Offers peer technical assessments in areas of expertise, new technologies and software designs
• Assist design engineering as needed with component datasheet review and schematic design review
• May partner with electrical engineering and process manufacturer to turn on new processors
• May work with software vendors to integrate externally developed deliverables into project
• Evaluates new technologies as they apply to existing functions
• Participates in project leadership and/or program planning including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents
• Makes substantial contributions toward determination of project goal/objective feasibility
• Mentors and/or supervises to less experienced Software Engineers (1 & 2)
• Contributes to advanced technical research on new technologies
• Independently determines general approach and specific solutions to technical problems
• Offers process improvement suggestions and authors new procedures as appropriate
• Provides reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques
• Applies good judgment in setting schedules and risk taking
• Exemplifies Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and proactively works to improve Garmin’s image and culture
• Applies knowledge of production and operations issues as they relate to engineering
Other responsibilities include reviewing product and/or application information manuals and brochures for technical accuracy and participating in product definition activities such as feature analysis and system tradeoffs.
Candidates for this role should possess a Master of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or another relevanat engineering/technical field AND a minimum of 3 years relevant experience OR Bachelor of Science Degree in any of the fields noted above AND a minimum of 5 year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule.
Qualified candidates will also demonstrate proficiency with designing well architectured software systems and modules that support new technology or improve capability/performance of existing functionality and competence with researching fundamental problems and implementing appropriate algorithmic solutions. Demonstrated ability to serve as a lead software engineer for a complex software project and the ability to decompose functional requirements into well defined tasks while balancing quality, quantity and complexity in work output are also required.
Other requirements for this role include:
• Demonstrated capability to offer peer technical assessments in areas of expertise, new technologies and software designs
• Must possess proficiency in writing software in C, C++, C# or Java as appropriate for performing the essential functions of this job description
• Must possess relevant experience and/or training in data structures or object oriented design methodology relevant to Garmin’s business needs
• Must possess relevant education and/or experience in software design, development and maintenance, as required for the successful performance of the essential functions of the position
Candidates with experience in QNX, IPC, CAN, power management, BT, HFM, HTML5, WebKit, Multimedia, and apps plus experience working in a team environment are preferred!
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved – kickball anyone? – and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
Garmin - 14 months ago
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...