Employee Relations Manager
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the person in this position manages the employee relations function for the Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD). This position plans, develops and implements new and revised employee relations programs, policies, practices, procedures and best practices aligned with the strategies and culture of DBHDD. Provides oversight and direction for administration of employee relations matters and related policies and procedures to ensure regulatory compliance
Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Manages the employee relations function for the department. Plans, develops and implements new and revised employee relations programs, policies, practices, procedures and best practices. Provides oversight and direction for administration of employee relations matters and related policies and procedures to ensure regulatory compliance
- Manages all employee relations activities to include, but not limited to, employee/management counseling and coaching, complaint/grievance investigations, unlawful discrimination or harassment charges, reviewing and/or recommending corrective/disciplinary action, EEOC charges, reduction activity/RIFs and unemployment hearings
- Provides consultation, support and training to all levels of management on employee relations policies, practices, procedures and related decisions. Acts as a resource to ensure fair and consistent interpretation, implementation, communication and administration of related programs, policies and initiatives. Provides guidance and counsel on performance management issues and disciplinary process
- Develops and documents procedures to enhance and streamline processes and ensure compliance with related regulatory requirements and work with HR Director/Managers to educate managers and staff
- Monitors the effectiveness of existing employee relations programs, policies, practices and procedures; evaluates and/or recommends changes which enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of operations/services; implements and provides guidance to management/staff in their administration and ensures programs and administration are consistent with departmental objectives and attentive to related policies and regulations
- Serves as senior resource and provides supervision and/or oversight to direct and matrix reports on significant employee relations issues
- Works with Human Resources staff and departmental leadership to ensure HR policies and procedures are appropriately aligned with departmental goals, objectives and culture, and attentive to federal, state and local laws and State Personnel Board Rules and Regulations
- Develops techniques for, and administers/provides oversight to the tracking/logging of employee relations activities; compiling, analyzing, reporting and presenting data and findings; identifying trends and recommending and/or implementing corrective action
- Keeps apprised of federal, state and local employment laws and regulations in order to ensure departmental compliance
- Performs other duties as required
- Strong knowledge of state and federal regulations specific to employment law, employee relations and relevant human resources
- Demonstrated experience and ability to independently initiate, analyze, report, implement and monitor employee relations programs and related activity. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in successfully navigating complex employment law and employee relations matters
- Ability to exercise sound judgment; make recommendations/decision and clearly and succinctly explain their basis
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships and influence others
- Ability to lead management in the area of conflict resolution and handle difficult/sensitive situations and/or individuals effectively
- High degree of emotional intelligence
- Well organized and confident to work independently, but be a strong team player
- Analytical mindset and skills and ability to collect, organize, interpret, problem solve, recommend and make decisions and develop plan of action
- Ability to multi-task, establish and maintain priorities and manage multiple issues
- High professional standards; strong customer service mentality and with attention to confidentiality
- Strong leadership and the ability to mentor
- Ability to train and direct the work of subordinate/assigned staff
- Solid attention to detail
- Strong and concise oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of, and ability to, effectively use related HR systems and software packages/applications. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and three years of supervisory human resource experience.
Note: Professional experience may be substituted on a year for year basis for education
Related Masters or law degree preferred, with 8 to 10 years progressively responsible experience in employee relations or legal experience with an emphasis in employee relations
Experience in administering employee relations programs, policies, procedures and best practices in a state government entity strongly preferred
In addition to a competitive salary (), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 19 on the statewide salary plan.
This position is located in downtown Atlanta .
A sprawling metropolis of over four million people today, metro Atlanta has the vibrancy of the world’s great urban centers combined with the Southern charm of small town centers such as Roswell and Decatur. Here you’ll find historic sites from the Civil War through the Civil Rights era, as well as world-class shopping, entertainment, and nightlife.
We're located across from Underground Atlanta . Parking is nearby as well as direct access to MARTA's rail and bus system.
Come to Georgia's capital city and experience first-hand our historic charm and hospitality.
Georgia DBHDD - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard