Published Job Title: Senior Conference Manager
Published Division/Department: US Sales
Requisition #: 5441
Country: United States
Percentage of Travel: 20% - 30%
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
Shift: 1st Shift
Interest Category: Sales / Business Development
The Leadership and Learning Center has a job opportunity for a Senior Conference Manager to support The Leadership and Learning Center.
Who We Are: The Leadership and Learning Center is a division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. We serve school systems around the world with world-class professional development, innovative solutions, and cutting-edge research. We are a fast growth, profitable, debt-free, mid-size company. We are employee-owned, offer great benefits along with a collaborative, high-performance work environment.
Title: Senior Conference Manager
Reports to: Director of Conferences
* Manage, plan and produce successful meetings, seminars, retreats, trade show exhibits, and other events.
* Manage and empower the events team to grow professionally and execute successful events.
* Identify potential event sites and oversee hotel contract negotiations, logistics and on-site management of events.
* Assist the Director of Conferences with the development of the fiscal year budget and individual conference budgets.
* Work closely with Director of Conferences on annual budget projections.
* Manage internal events and retreats.
* Enhance the event customer experience from pre-registration to post engagement.
* Create detailed budgets for each event and review all event budgets on a monthly basis to ensure that we are on track to meet all fiscal goals
* Work on the development of annual conference calendar.
* Work across-divisions to create new conferences and agendas.
* Monitors competitor activities and events.
* Work across-divisions to plan international and on-site institutes.
* Continually improve upon events by acting upon feedback received and enhance the existing feedback system.
* Along with the rest of the Conference Team, serve as liaison with event attendees and respond in a friendly, timely manner to all questions and inquiries.
* Ensure that website is up-to-date and alert the Marketing Department when changes need to be made.
* Work with the Marketing Department to develop materials that will drive sales and build awareness of the Leadership and Learning Center’s conferences.
* Assist with other responsibilities as required.
* Ability to travel to any event (25-35%)
* Experience in creating and managing budgets.
* Experience in securing event and hotel contracts.
* Experience in supervising event staff and company personnel.
* Customer service oriented.
* Ability to set and achieve goals.
* Self starter with initiative and ability to perform without constant supervision.
* Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
* Ability to work well in a team as well as independently.
* Ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner with attention to quality.
* Ability to work cross-functionally and in teams.
* Superb communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
* Technologically proficient with experience in MS Outlook, Excel, MS Word, CRM and Internet.
* Requires a bachelor's degree or its equivalent, with at least 4 years of experience in event or conference management.
* Previous experience providing leadership to multiple events is preferred.
* Knowledge of event industry is necessary.
* Ability to travel when required (1-2 times per month).
* Must be able to lift 40lbs
* MBA or advanced degree in relevant field
* 5-10 years of product management/marketing experience or in related area of education field
* Experience in education, assessment, and measurement
* Experience managing staff
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Strategic thinker that can also be deadline and results driven
* Superior inter-personal skills with all levels including executive management
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V and member of e-Verify.”
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - 9 months ago
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company would like to thank all the professional students out there. The firm is a publisher of...