We are looking for a talented Expert Sales Engineer (SE) to work directly with our Sales Reps and Partners in the Ohio state area. This team is typically assigned a geographic territory and an associated quota for that territory. The SE will be responsible for all pre-sales technical activities for their territory.
- Gathers and assesses customer needs, both business and technical;
- Identifies related needs (lead generation, opportunity expansion)
- Identifies site-specific and corporate parameters and constraints that impact the solution
- Identifies required project steps
- Identifies likely problem areas that require attention
- Identifies probable competition and product roll-out data/training needs and evaluates relative HP strengths
- Architects an appropriate technical solution to meet the customer's business requirements
- Investigates and optimizes a solution's fit to the requirements of an opportunity, both current and future
- Adapts solution design to new requirements
- Establishes the validity of a solution and its components
- Identifies the growth path and scalability options of a solution and includes these in design activities
- Generates an implementation plan with timelines for the solution
- Creates the appropriate test plan as required
- Anticipates some of the potential challenges for the proposed project plan
- Anticipates and plans for competitive threats
- Actively identifies opportunities to assist peers Regionally in area of expertise (e.g., writing white-papers)
- Maintains excellent communications with customer executive management across the Region
- Represents HP as technical expert with customers; shares knowledge in area of expertise and links to related technology areas
- Advances opportunities through the use of effective consultative selling techniques
- Builds customer loyalty through being a trusted advisor
- Partners effectively with others in the account to ensure problem resolution and customer satisfaction
- Communicates and articulates the details of their component roles in a proposed customer solution
- Actively supports the account team with solution advice, proposals, presentations, and other customer communications
- Analyzes and provides support to deals in the pipeline where needed
- Transfers knowledge to Presales peers via mentoring and contributing participation in peer education programs
- Understands the roles and affectively engages other teams and resources within HP and partners
- Identifies overlooked opportunities suggested by technical expertise
- Facilitates smooth transition from sales to implementation by orienting the appropriate teams to the solution design
- Contributions have major impact across an HP Region and some BU's, and solid impact on Regional HP business
- Analyzes and contributes to the presales direction for the Region or some areas of a BU
- Breadth of influence goes across multiple organizations within the Business and is sought, valued and used
- Provide product roadmaps presentations not delivered by Storage Sales Specialist
- Provide leadership in storage area for RFP responses
At least 7 to 10 years experience in a technical pre-sales role.
Windows, VMware system administration skills. Practical Linux or Unix systems administration skills a plus.
Solid understanding of a subset of the following technical categories:
Operating Systems (Windows Server & Linux Server)
Server Virtualization Solutions (VMware, Citrix or Microsoft)
X86 hardware (Servers, Blades)
Storage Area Networks (iSCSI, Fiber Channel or NAS)
Local Area Networking (TCP/IP, Switches, Routers)
Applications like Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint…
Databases (Oracle & SQL)
Back-up (HP, Veritas, Legato…)
Business Continuity/High Availability
Demonstrated Solution Sales skills.
Very good communications skills (verbal and written).
Very good interpersonal skills.
Very good presentation skills.
Proven ability to create presentations using PowerPoint and deliver using WebEx or similar delivery mechanism.
Ability to travel a minimum of 50 percent of the time
B.S./B.A. degree or equivalent technical training.
Yes, 50 % of the Time
HP - 19 months ago
Hewlett-Packard Company, or HP, is an American multinational information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California, USA...