Location: Houston, TX
Education: Graduate degree (M.B.A., M.A., etc.)
- 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in logging operations, or logging tool physics and design is desired. The ideal candidate has a combination of conventional deepwater and resource play experience.
Ability to read, analyze and understand scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents; Ability to respond to complex or difficult inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Critical Thinking skills:
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal, logical, or scientific symbolism such as formulas, scientific equations, and graphs.
The purpose of a Petrophysicist is to evaluate subsurface well information, especially electric logs, cores, and mudlogs, for the identification and quantification of hydrocarbons. Petrophysicists provide porosity, water saturation, reservoir thickness, net to gross, permeability, hydrocarbon properties, mineralogy, and rock mechanical properties to other geologists, geophysicists, and reservoir engineers. In an exploration well, the Petrophysicist determines whether the well has commercial pay and recommends zones for testing or completion. Petrophysicists are involved with picking intervals for coring, formation testing and other analysis. They must keep up with current technology and use proven methods for quantifying reserves.
Job duties to include:
- Well log analysis of digitized data
- Formation evaluation planning and execution
- Real time well log analysis for Murphy wells
- Geological and geophysical reviews
- Log printing and software maintenance
- Review industry articles, research new petrophysical technology and meet with vendors
- Support of multiple asset teams including onshore, offshore deep water and New Ventures
Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis.
Murphy Oil Corporation (Murphy) is a worldwide oil and gas exploration and production company, with refining and marketing operations in the...