Under the general supervision of a Radiologist and directly responsible to the Radiology Manager, the Radiologic Technologist/Mammographer performs a variety of technical radiographic procedures and mammography exams that will require independent judgment of technical detail. Coordinates QC documentation and duties related to ACR accreditation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
2. Must be licensed by the state and registered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
3. Must have at least one year experience and training in routine diagnostic and fluoroscopic procedures, emergency and trauma procedures and surgery procedures
4. Must be registered and able to cross train in and Dexa.
5. Current licensure in mammography from the State of Nevada.
6. Must have current BLS certification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for diagnostic procedures requiring sound understanding of anatomical positioning and physiology so that independent selection and modification of technical factors may produce optimum results.
2. Assists the Radiologists and physicians in administering opaque media.
3. Performs mammography procedures as prescribed by a physician (which may include DEXA scans). Follows established techniques and methods in operating equipment and processing images. Ensures technical quality of images and exercises judgment in processing assigned workload.
4. Prepares patients for mammography procedures, i.e., escorts patient to dressing and mammography room and provides verbal and written instructions. Positions patient and adjust equipment, selecting length and intensity for radiation exposure on an individual basis. Uses appropriate compression with due consideration to the particular circumstances of each case.
5. Assesses the patients previous exams/reports, if available/applicable, prior to performing the mammography procedure. Reviews the referral form for each procedure and ensures accuracy of the referral in the system; accurately communicates the referral to the radiologist.
6. Practices sterile techniques and prevents cross-contamination.
7. Practices Radiation Safety at all times.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Requires initiative and independent judgment.
2. Ability to work with patients and hospital personnel.
3. Demonstrates organizational and priority-setting skills.
4. Rotates within the departments in the different types of work such as fluoroscope, diagnostic x-rays, emergency-trauma surgery, C-Arm, and Dexa Scanner.
5. Knowledge of basic radiologic methods and techniques normally acquired through completion of 24-month radiologic technology training and through Nevada State Mammography License.
6. Knowledge of quality care and radiation safety standards for mammography (ALARA)
7. Knowledge and work experience necessary to independently conduct routine and specialized radiologic tests, to assist physicians with special techniques or procedures, and to become familiar with physician and department work methods and facility policies and procedures.
8. Knowledge of and experience in using office equipment, including telephone, fax, computer and photocopier.
9. Knowledge of and experience in using radiology-related computer systems (RIS/PACS)
10. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to effectively interact with physicians, other facility staff, patients and families when providing instructions or responding to questions or exchanging patient-related information.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient record information.
12. Ability to complete 100 mammograms per calendar year as required by MQSA.
13. Analytical skills necessary in order to conduct routine radiographic tests and review results for accuracy and quality, to verify patient information, to complete material for medical record, and to monitor supply levels.
14. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when conducting or assisting with diagnostic radiologic procedures.
15. Maintains adequate records as directed.
16. Ability to perform all Mammography QA.
17. Performs other duties as directed.
Boulder City Hospital - 21 months ago