In January 2012, Chartis and SunAmerica Financial Group formed a significant new player in the benefits market by combining American General Life Companies’ Benefit Solutions division with the Medical Excess and @Work groups from Chartis Corporate Benefits division. The combined entity targets the employee and affinity group markets, and serves as a one-stop solution for today’s changing benefits marketplace for groups of all sizes. The product suite includes life/AD&D, BTA/accident, universal and term life, dental, vision, limited healthcare, medical reimbursement, stop-loss, organ transplant, group hospital, group and personal disability, critical illness, accident and cancer insurance. This broad and diverse portfolio provides limitless opportunities to create flexible benefit offerings suitable for all sizes and budgets, and the combined underwriting, distribution and sales strengths of American General and Chartis will provide further strength and differentiation in the marketplace.
In order to optimize those strengths, the organization needs processes, communication and internal services that meet and/or exceed the expectations of today’s market and those of markets we endeavor to serve. By bringing the best thinking and experience on work process management together with best talent in the industry in the changing benefits market, we can create a company poised to handle significant growth and profitability. One of the needs identified through this merger is the need for a new Admin platform. This position is a result of that need.
Reporting to the Director of Business Systems Support the Sr. Business Analyst will facilitate the analysis, design and implementation of system solutions to business needs in the most effective and efficient manner. This position requires working closely with IT/Programming staff, service areas and Management to coordinate from the initial phase of projects to final implementation.
Immediate Performance Objectives:
- Evaluate all viable business solution options and identify pros and cons of each option as they relate to system processing, business processing, time, cost and benefits; and recommend the best possible solution with business benefits and estimates.
- Gather business requirements and develop business specifications for system changes required for complex business solutions and service center enhancements.
- Understand the inter-relationships between the various business areas and systems in order to recommend and justify changes needed for system updates based on changes made in other areas (e.g., host, workflow, product launches, accounting)
- Evaluate critical system defects by determining and communicating priorities based on impacts to business and work toward solutions to resolving them.
- Provide training assistance to end users for new systems and enhancements.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the delivery of projects related to system changes and service enhancements into Production.
- Facilitate communication between business and technical staff to ensure effective and efficient implementation. Utilize negotiation and consultative skills.
- Manage expectations throughout implementation of a project, including escalation of issues and assessing and communicating business and technical risks.
- Support and coordinate business resources for system releases and establish testing expectations.
- Conduct and coordinate accuracy, consistency and adequacy reviews for business specifications, including walk-thru.
- Evaluate risks associated with different system changes and implement a testing methodology that is appropriate for the risk involved.
- Assist in translating business requirements into test plans and acceptance criteria for complex projects and analyze results as compared to business requirements.
- Monitor testing progress, defect reporting, problem resolution and prioritization.
- Monitor and communicate system performance issues to project team, processors and management.
- College degree plus 5 years business related experience - or high school plus 7 years business related experience.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills – ability to understand impacts of complex changes, formulate testing methodologies to minimize risks and recommend appropriate business or systems solutions.
- Demonstrate strong project management and organizational skills. Ability to communicate information of a complex nature to all levels of the organization (written and verbal) in easy to understand business language.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities and adjust work accordingly to meet target deadlines. Possess strong negotiation and consultative skills.
- Ability to conduct a business value analysis and justify the business benefits for system changes. A strong knowledge of the voluntary and employer paid benefits business administration, supporting processes and products is a plus.
- Proficiency in using Industry tools for software development, business requirements definition and traceability, creation and executing test cases, and management of defects is a plus.
- Familiarization with Microsoft Suite Tools, namely Microsoft Project, Visio, Excel and Word.
- Maintains a broad understanding of Benefit Administrative systems (host, client server, web-based), inter-relationships of systems, processes and products and their impact to the overall project and business objectives.
- Exercises independent judgment in design and analysis of complex systems and have strong decision-making skills.
- Must be able to determine if a problem exists, understand the impact, seek to minimize risks, and develop appropriate alternatives to resolve.
- Ability to identify a problem, analyze the source problem and make viable recommendations.
- Must be able to analyze, design and develop complex business solutions and changes to administrative systems and/or interfaces.
- Ability to evaluate options, risks and benefits associated with changes as it relates to system processing, service processing as well as implement an appropriate testing methodology.
- Possess strong consultative skills and creativity to suggest changes and to improve business processes.
- Ability to communicate (both written and oral form) and interact with all levels of management to translate business requirements and system problems into viable solutions, business case justifications and specifications.
- Ability to keep management abreast of project status, progress, activities and issues.
- Must be able to develop and conduct management and/or user walk through.
- Oversees project implementation to ensure an on-time delivery, cost effective and quality system solutions in order to improve service productivity and minimize administrative and financial risks to the company.
- Work with Project Managers to assist with quantifying the business value for assigned projects and assist with the building of metrics to ensure projects are fully completed and meet required expectations.
American International Group - 19 months ago
Even to this day American International Group (AIG) is one of the world's largest insurance firms. While it held the spotlight...