Charlotte School of Law is seeking multiple qualified Academic Success Lecturers to join the faculty and the Academic Services team as key members in the campus community. The faculty, staff, and students rely on our Academic Success Lecturers to provide assistance to a growing number of students. The Academic Success Lecturers are experts in promoting students’ success in law school and in contributing to the growth of the institution. Academic Success Lecturers hold faculty status within the School of Law. The position is not a tenure-track position, but it is eligible for long-term contract status upon meeting the necessary conditions.
The school is a member of The InfiLaw System , a consortium of independent law schools committed to making legal education more responsive to the realities of new career dynamics. Its mission is to establish student-centered, American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law schools in underserved markets that graduate students with practice-ready skills, and achieve true diversity programs aimed at student academic and career success.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaches required courses designed to improve students’ academic performance through development of study and exam skills, as well as prepares and presents Academic Success labs or workshops, whether as supplements to those courses or independently.
- Assists in counseling and advising students on various academic issues, including academic achievement, academic probation, and the petition process to obtain reinstatement.
- Tracks the academic progress of assigned students. Updates and maintains spreadsheets used for tracking and provides periodic reports on assigned students’ progress.
- Attends seminars and conferences to improve ability to provide appropriate services at the law school.
- Assists in planning and presenting the Academic Success portion of New Student Orientation.
- Assists students in reviewing answers to practice exams.
- Assists in maintaining Academic Success website, TWEN site and Desire2Learn platforms associated with Academic Success.
- Participates in Best Practices Meetings for Academic Outcomes, attends meetings as necessary within the law school (including faculty meetings) and provides assistance on an “as available” basis to the efforts of the Bar Exam Preparation department during bar exam season.
- As requested, provides recommendations and feedback to the Academic Outputs and Standards Team on students considered for reinstatement.
- Other duties as may be reasonably related to Academic Success functions.
- Juris Doctor degree from an approved, ABA-accredited law school.
- Applicant must be a licensed attorney. Prior academic support experience (either professional or as part of a graduate or law school program) or teaching experience (i.e. legal writing or comparable teaching experience in writing and analytical skills training) is preferred.
Certifications/Licensures (If Applicable)
- Licensed by a State Bar Association.
- Able to relate well to students and have strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to create effective and persuasive content on various law school Academic Success topics.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with faculty, staff, students and administrators.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work as a “team player”.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience in higher education, academic, or legal environment highly desired.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required due to high level interaction with students, faculty and the underserved.
- A strong commitment to Charlotte Law’s mission pillars of student centeredness, practice preparedness, and serving the underserved.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Charlotte School of Law offers a full benefits package .
The InfiLaw System
- 2 years ago - save job