Reviews, analyzes, develops, programs/installs, and modifies computer operating systems. Analyzes and resolves problems associated with operating systems. Detects, diagnoses, and reports related problems and assists with the day-to-day informatics activities of a large sequencing center. Plans, develops and deploys a variety of programmatic solutions for managing and supporting a High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster and various large (+1 PB) scalable storage systems for the Sequencing and other Yale Centers. Maintains and modifies a current LIM system (Mediawiki based) that is already in place and in use at the sequencing center. This specifically involves interactions with the individual Yale user, and staff from the sequencing center and HPC to understand the issues related to the operation and functionality of LIM system and carries out the necessary programing to resolve the issues to improve the operation and functionality. In addition to this provide HPC software support for sequencing center cluster and data storage units. Manages files stored on the scalable storage systems under the guidance of PhD level computer scientists.
Works closely with HPC scientists to track new industry developments; interface directly with Yale ITS system experts. Recommends/carries out purchases and deployment of new technical solutions. Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution related to HPC and data storage systems. Maintains relationships with key vendors, Yale ITS and Yale investigators. Provides help with the development and documentation of best practices, processes and procedures related to all aspects of HPC and data storage systems, working with users to ensure system compatibility with their workflow. Assists in formation of computing policies relevant to operating systems as necessary.
1. Investigates and analyzes user issues concerning system deficiencies and determine appropriate action.
2. Provides system services for stakeholders and intended end users. Applies software upgrades, security patches , and performance planned maintenance; install, configure, and maintain operating systems and applications
3. Resolves programming problems to minimize harm to affected users data loss.
4. Incorporates updates into existing systems to eliminate operational deficiencies, and errors, improve overall performance, and increase efficiency of operations.
5. Reviews productivity reports and problem records to evaluate performance of computer system.
6. Reviews computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations to determine if requested changes to operating system are possible. Make recommendations.
7. Designs and documents system procedures. Briefs users on changes and new system capabilities. Train users, to use system software.
8. Researches new tools, processes, and technologies.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Two years of experience as a systems programmer with knowledge of one or more high level languages, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Familiarity with the linux environment. Proven ability to use a command line interface and to make effective use of local and remote files systems, configure ssh and debug ssh log-in issues, run standard monitoring tools and interpret their output.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proficiency with file management tools (e.g.: find, gzip, rsync, tar).
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to write bash and awk scripts. Experience with one of perl or python. Proven ability with target applications including scripts for data migration, transformation and reporting. Experience with software management and install tools (cvs/git/svn,configure, gcc/gfortran,make).
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Good record keeping and organizational skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Good communication and interpersonal skills to interact well with both the Center's management and end users .
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's Degree in a related field.
Two to five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...