Date Posted: March 26, 2012
New Belgium is seeking help with our sensory work (yep, that’s tasting beer science!). There is an opportunity for a recent graduate (master’s level preferred) or an experienced sensory specialist. Applicants should include information on which level they feel they are most qualified for and include appropriate evidence and examples.
**For an experienced candidate, there may be an opportunity for exempt level work running taste panel. Experienced candidates should highlight their experience in this area and submit salary requirements.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, conducting daily sensory analysis panel including, planning, collecting samples, preparing samples, conducting panel, cleaning up, entering data, and first level analysis of sensory panel data per documented procedures and training. The applicant will operate under the guidance and direction of the Sensory Quality Specialist.
Skills and attributes necessary for this position:
- Conduct daily sensory panel per SOGs, instructions, and training.
- Enter sensory data and document results of analysis in appropriate form(s), log(s) and/or database(s).
- Conduct analysis of data including evaluation of statistical process control charts.
- Take appropriate action following decision trees and/or out of control action plans to validate results and/or alert customers of results especially when analysis indicates product/process out of control.
- Maintain supporting mechanisms for assigned areas (e.g., SOGs, training documentation/aids, tools, equipment, logs, databases, control charts, etc.) under direction of Sensory Quality Specialist.
- Provide support for analysis and root cause corrective action for OOC conditions on assigned measurements.
- Operate and maintain all appropriate equipment and workspace for assigned responsibilities.
- Deliver training for assigned methods under the direction of the Sensory Quality Specialist.
- Participate as team member and/or team leader for projects and focused improvement efforts, as assigned.
- Demonstrate role model behavior with respect to NBB Core Values in day-to-day activities and in pursuit of Quality department and personal goals and objectives.
- Provide back-up support for other Quality Department team members, as assigned.
- Periodically evaluate methods and supporting mechanisms from all stakeholders’ points of view and make recommendations to method owner for improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills desired, but not necessary:
- Demonstrated knowledge of sensory science, sensory statistics and sensory laboratory operations
- Strong analytical thinking skills – Sensory, Statistics, DOE and/or Six Sigma Green Belt desirable.
- Solid presentation delivery and development skills
- Strong interpersonal and team member skills
- Highly motivated individual able to plan and manage personal work and schedule
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- Ability to exercise initiative and judgment as well as make decisions within the scope of assigned authority
- Demonstrated ability and desire to obtain additional skills and knowledge in area of expertise (e.g., continued education, special training, certification)
- Good communication, documentation and writing skills
- Strong personal computer skills (e.g., Word, Excel)
- Demonstrated experience with sensory application software (e.g., Compusense)
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science with an emphasis on Sensory Science, from a four year college or university or the equivalent in special training and work related experience
This is a full-time hourly position, 40+ hrs a week. Starting pay will be commensurate with experience. (Exempt level with appropriate skills, knowledge and experience). Applicants must submit salary expectations.
- Demonstrated hands-on sensory lab experience and attention to detail
- Expert statistical and analytical thinking skills - Six Sigma Green Belt/Black Belt desirable
- Advanced knowledge of sensory science for the brewing industry
- Working knowledge/experience in brewing science/brewing processes with understanding of causal relationships for flavor chemistry in beer
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or government regulations and write reports, business correspondence, and technical process documentation
New Belgium Brewing Company employees enjoy: competitive wages and salaries, a generous benefits package including: life, health, dental insurance, 401(k), participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan, and a Profit Sharing plan. Eligible for relocation assistance.
Please submit a resume and cover letter online at:
Final date for accepting applications
April 9, 2012
New Belgium Brewing Company - 13 months ago