The Case Manager is a Registered Nurse who directs and supervises all personnel involved in patient care within a specific geographic area. They are responsible for the care of patients and the allocation of agency resources.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Makes initial patient evaluation visits. Consults with the attending physician in establishing and updating the plan of care.
- In conjunction with the Clinical Manager, assigns patients to Nurses and other members of the health team.
- Consults with the Clinical Manager with problems concerning the admission of patients to Agency care and coordination of services.
- Reports all personnel matters requiring action to the Clinical Manager.
- Assist Clinical Manager in the supervision of Nurses and Home Health Aides:
- Is knowledgeable of the patient.
- May receive reports from the Nurses.
- Supervises Nurses, Therapist and Home Health Aides rendering patient care within a specific are as it relates to the patient's plan of care
- Reviews plans for patient treatment and notifies team members of any changes that may pertain to them and ensures that the Clinical Manager is informed.
- Participate in the nurse on-call system of the agency as appropriate.
- Attends nursing service meetings and combined therapy and nursing service meetings.
- Participates in staff development activities. Review Date: 01/15/2009
- Strives to continually improve their nursing knowledge through attendance at workshops, conference, professional organization meetings and individual research and reading.
- Participates in the evaluation of the nursing program.
- Initiates and conducts Care Team Conferences for their patients.
- Conducts or designates a RN to do phone follow-up with patients per agency protocols.
- Completes assessments, re-assessments, resumption of care and provides related supervision in a timely manner.
- Determines the need for additional episodes of care and performs all necessary visits and documentation.
- Reviews all Medical Records no less than once every sixty (60) days. During the review process, the Case Manager will update the plan of care.
- Completes Discharges to assure that all records are in compliance with agency policies and procedures to include no less than the Discharge audit form, the Discharge Summary and the Discharge Notification Form.
- Monitors utilization ranges for each HHRG.
- Insures all transfer paperwork is completed in the event a patient is transferred to a hospital.
- Follow all privacy policies of CareSouth and maintain the confidentiality of protected healthcare information (PHI).
Supervisory experience preferred.
- Licensed registered nurse in the State served by the Agency.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience as a professional nurse preferably with at least one (1) year of experience in the field of community health nursing; and/or
- Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree program approved by the National League for Nursing for Public Health preparation is preferred.
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver's license and current automobile liability insurance.
- Must furnish a report of Motor Vehicle Records for the past three (3) years.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Organization personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, organization personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities. All personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold in all weather conditions. Must drive in various weather conditions on roads in varying degrees of repair.
May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases. Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances. May be exposed or occasionally exposed to patient elements. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Handles emergency or crisis situations. Travel required. OSHA exposure category: Category I - Position includes tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues.
Required Personal Protective Equipment:
As required by working conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. The employee will be expected to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and / or other management personnel.
If you are a current
Kindred at Home - 2 years ago