The Honorable Linda S. Titus, chambered in Jackson County, Jackson, Minnesota, is seeking a qualified person to fill a full-time judicial law clerk position. Anticipated start date is 4/26/12.
Work involves the performance of professional legal research and other related clerical/administrative work in the preparation of memoranda, opinions, or orders for judges concerning the cases before them. Work is performed under general supervision of a judge and is reviewed through conferences and written reports.
The law clerk and judge have a close working relationship that affords the clerk an opportunity to observe how judges reason and arrive at their decisions. A law clerk can expect a comprehensive experience in many facets of the law.
Example of Duties:
- Reviews, studies, researches, and annotates laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, and related legal authorities.
- Prepares briefs, legal memoranda, and statement of issues involved, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations to the justice or judge.
- Compiles references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations.
- Confers with justice, judge or court official concerning legal questions, construction of documents and granting of orders.
- Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments and records necessary case information; maintain records attendant to court proceedings.
- May perform courtroom duties including calling the calendar; swearing in jury panels and witness; taking court minutes; and assisting in various court proceedings such as arraignments, motions, hearings, pre-trial conferences and trials.
Knowledge of general law, state law, established precedent, and sources of legal reference.
Knowledge of court practices and procedures.
Knowledge of legal terminology and concepts.
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with a diverse group of people.
Ability to research complex legal problems or questions and apply legal principles.
Ability to represent the court in a respectful manner.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Skill in the operation of a personal computer with word processing and legal research software.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO PASS A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK. Full State of Minnesota Benefit package.
Law Clerks are at-will employee's and the work is performed under the supervision of a District Court Judge.
Work is performed primarily in an office setting or a courtroom.
Please apply for this position on-line by clicking the apply link near the top of this page. (For instructions on creating and submitting your on-line application, click on the How to Apply link in the left-hand menu at the top of this page).
All applications MUST include a law school transcript, one BRIEF writing sample, and resume.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. If questions, please contact 5th Judicial District Human Resources at 507.344.4948.
Minnesota Judicial Branch - 2 years ago