QA Engineer Job Description
Junior Level Software Test Engineer assigned to test production software of diverse size and complexity from the QA delivery through release. Utilizes knowledge and practical experience in planning and completing assigned tasks in an efficient and timely manner.
• Responsible for planning and executing functional and system level testing of web-based remote access application on Windows, Unix and Mac based platforms
• Writes test plans and test cases for one or more major functional areas, follows up to get them reviewed and approved, sets up test environments, executes tests, records results and defects, and works with developers to reproduce problems and get them resolved.
• Has mastered and provides guidance to others on prescribed Software Engineering and QA processes and procedures. Establishes and maintains thorough and accurate documentation of work and communicates technical issues to QA leadership, Tech Leads and Project Managers and business stakeholders.
• Develops, runs and maintains manual and automated test procedures. Installs, configures and maintains the hardware and software test environment. Analyzes and reproduces problems reported by Customer Support. Acquires complete set of relevant data so the problem can be accurately characterized.
• Oversees the design, development and execution of tests to verify the functionality, accuracy, and efficiency of developed or enhanced software. Reviews results analyses for conformance to plans and specifications making recommendations based on the results
Plans and executes testing of large and complex projects with little to no guidance or instruction in process or procedure. Projects will be planned and schedules defined competently with direction and guidance regarding higher level dependencies from the more senior QA Engineer or QA Manager.
Responsible for creating detailed schedules for others when given project assignments from Lead QA Engineer or QA Manager; may help lead projects and organize additional QA resources; responsible for own schedules and work assignments. Coordinates and manages assigned projects to completion, i.e. plans project schedule and resources, provides estimates, writes test plan, records and reports project status and metrics.
• Helps in managing QA resources when needed, including acting as QA Manager in times of managerial absence.
• Keeps abreast of technical trends, develops and incorporates them within assignments as appropriate. Recommends improvements and changes in QA processes and procedures. Maintains close liaison with other departments on technical matters and may work closely with vendors or customers on issues relating to COL products.
• Specializes in multiple complex areas of Citrix Product Technologies and mentors more junior QA team members (e.g. networking and automated testing).
• Oversees software defect tracking and regression for entire project release. Represents QA in project team meetings and accurately communicates results.
• Assists Engineering in determining root cause of issues. Help establish severity and scope to guide prioritization for resolution by Engineering.
• Collaborates with engineers, helps lead bug meetings, works with project managers through release of projects.
• Prepares and presents status and technical reports as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Develops efficient automated test cases for the manual and tedious test cases.
• BS or MS degree or equivalent in a technical field preferred, with at least 1 year of directly related work experience. Equivalent experience may be substituted for formal education.
• At-least 1 years of experience in Web/Software Release Cycle
• Demonstrated expertise in QA processes and products and related tools.
• Thorough knowledge of release procedures and software defect tracking. Good working knowledge of Automated Test tools and frameworks.
• Strong knowledge of Windows and Mac OS as well as native applications including installation and configuration. Basic UNIX knowledge. Solid understanding of web based software/protocols and database concepts. Good understanding of software programming structure
• Good understanding of Project Management methodologies and tools desired (e.g. MS Project).
• Demonstrated success as a primary tester on multiple large sized projects.