This position can be located in either the Portland, Oregon location or Dallas, Texas location.
Basic Function: This individual will be responsible for management of software development engineers; as well as the design, development, testing and implementation of APCON’s client service products and embedded systems. Leads the software development team in creation of next generation innovative products.
- Technical management software engineers.
- Drives the design and development of new enterprise network switching products from conception through production; including successful release of new products.
- Analyzes software and hardware requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Drives re-fit of existing code for maintainability and reliability.
- Designs and writes engineering requirements from product requirements.
- Oversees design and code review.
- Generates plans/schedules for varying projects.
- Generates status reports based on project status.
- Guides team in the design, programming and debugging of next and current generation, products.
- Conducts performance reviews, coaching and training, promotions, disciplinary actions, and other managerial duties as needed.
- Travels with sales staff to customer sites as necessary.
- Trains customers/employees on new products/upgrades.
- Contribute to product requirement specifications.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record in managing and mentoring growing engineering teams.
- Demonstrated Engineering lead experience in software or hardware development of communications products for commercial use.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Software background requires:
- Very strong C/C++ programming for embedded systems in a Linux environment.
- Experience designing and developing enterprise level software management systems.
- Device driver development.
- Excellent debugging skills.
- Strong knowledge of Real Time Operating Systems ( RTOS.)
- Experience with Linux low-level kernel development
- Experience implementing TCP/IP,UDP,SSL,HTTP,HTTPS and SNMP in embedded systems.
- Experience designing abstraction architectures for device agnostic functionality.
- Experience with GNU cross-platform tools: (gcc, gdb, etc.)
- Knowledge of hardware and embedded board systems a plus which might include VHDL, FPGA, MAC/PHY, debug of Linux boot process, and Linux driver changes.
Education and Experience:
- BS degree (BSEE/ BSCS strongly preferred, MSEE/MSCS a plus) and/or the equivalent in training and experience.
- 10+ years experience in engineering design and development with minimum 2 years in an engineering management role.