As an integral part of the clinical care team, is responsible for the performing venipuncture on patients throughout the medical center and prepares these specimens for delivery to indicated laboratories.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. According to established procedures and policy, performs phlebotomy on patients for numerous tests.
2. Carefully follows accession order.
3. Selects proper peripheral vein, cleanses site and applies tourniquet.
4. Performs venipuncture using vacutainer assembly properly.
5. Draws correct number and types of tubes on properly identified patients.
6. Ascertains that tubes contain sufficient blood and are correctly labeled.
7. According to set procedures and policy, separates tubes according to labs. Places tubes in carriers.
8. According to set procedures and policy communicates any problems or issues and alerts management accordingly.
9. Keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition (proper disposal of contaminated equipment) and maintains a safe working environment.
10. Attends continuing education classes to keep up to date with current knowledge.
11. Follows the guidelines of OSHA, NYSDH and CAP and other regulatory agencies.
12. Position reports to the Patient Service Center Supervisor or the Patient Coordinator.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION:
High School diploma or equivalent
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
1 year of phlebotomy experience preferred.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds.
Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
Mount Sinai Medical Center - 22 months ago
Mount Sinai Medical Center