The Deputy Managing Editor, News will run CNBC Digital’s breaking news desk. The successful candidate will exhibit top notch team management skills, excellent news sense, the ability to lead as well as follow the day’s top stories, a deep background in business or financial journalism, and strong packaging and headline writing skills.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Deputy Managing Editor, News will oversee a team of “hot seat” editors, producers and copy editors, who manage CNBC home pages across dotcom, mobile and tablet. He/she will also work closely with CNBC TV’s breaking news desk and show production units to leverage the flow of news and ideas between the platforms.
The Editor will be responsible for:
· monitoring daily news developments via wires, websites, social media, television, partners and other sources of breaking news
· determining which stories to prioritize and cover, and ensuring a clear hierarchy in the day’s lineup
· assigning ongoing breaking news stories to reporters, as necessary
· ensuring stories are dynamically packaged, with particular emphasis on headlines and display elements
· managing CNBC's home page and main news pages across web, mobile and tablet
· liaising with TV breaking news desk
· liaising with beat editors, embedded digital producers and video hotseat
· liaising with social media hotseat on social media distribution
managing personnel schedules
The successful candidate will exhibit top notch team management skills, excellent news sense, the ability to lead as well as follow the day’s top stories, a deep background in business or financial journalism, and strong packaging and headline writing skills.
This position requires somebody with strong organizational skills, a demonstrated ability to work under pressure, think on their feet, juggle multiple tasks at once, prioritize tasks and stories, and work within a matrixed environment to come up with creative ways to distinguish CNBC from the pack.
The position requires at least seven years’ editing experience for a major business news outlet with at least three years’ of that experience in the digital arena, plus a demonstrated track record of leadership and journalistic achievement. Familiarity with TV news operations a plus. Must be technically proficient and have knowledge of basic software systems and newsroom operations.
The Deputy Managing Editor, News will also bring a sense of flair – and fun – to CNBC Digital’s lineup and understand the importance of voice in successfully engaging our audience. He or she will be an active participant on the social web, tapping into social platforms to drive engagement while delivering highly shareable content.
Apply to job
end to friend
Save to cart
NBC Universal - 17 months ago