The Programmer Analyst III’s role is to develop, test, analyze, and maintain software applications in support of business requirements. This position will also research, design, document, and modify software specifications throughout the production life cycle. Additionally, the Programmer Analyst III is also responsible for supervising and/or leading the development of new systems, directing changes to existing systems and controlling the interfaces between the systems, initiating complex feasibility studies and making recommendations of the action to be taken.
Texas Tech University Perspective:
• While limited management oversight may be expected for specific projects, this position is expected to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the following duties:
• Performs systems analysis, develops, and reviews programming code defined in project plans to meet design specifications, customer requirements, and/or applies vendor supplied upgrades.
• Design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing, or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on user or system design specifications.
• Completes application modifications to enhance functionality, adapt to technology changes, and to correct application errors.
• Supervises and/or leads programming projects and initiatives, as assigned by management.
• Completes other programming tasks, as assigned by management.
• Adheres to all appropriate Institutional policies (including IT OPs) and other relevant internal departmental policies.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Ability to:
• Exercise judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
• Plan and organize effectively, prioritize goals, use time efficiently, and stay on task.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
• Advanced level analytical and design skills, including process description, logic, problem diagnostics, and problem solving.
• Advanced level understanding of programming languages, syntax structures, and data management techniques.
• Advanced level understanding of application and database design and development concepts and standards.
• Training in computer programming through education or experience.
• Specific or specialized technical skills, as appropriate to the area and/or team.
Information Systems Perspective:
• Performs installation, configuration, and ongoing support of Ellucian/SunGard Banner ERP and other software systems.
• Analyzes needs and designs, develops, and implements database changes.
• Oversees the design and architecture of new systems and databases.
• Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with a wide range of personnel at Texas Tech, including administrative and academic customers, vendors, supervisor, and co-workers.
• Analyzes needs and designs, develops, implements, and maintains software to meet user requirements and/or applies vendor supplied upgrades.
• Analyzes, reviews, and alters software to increase operating efficiency, adapt to new requirements, and correct errors.
• Provides advice and consultation on information technology.
• Trains analysts and programmers in the techniques of systems design and development work.
• Initiates complex feasibility studies and makes recommendations of the action to be taken.
• Uses personal computer software to provide support and direction for initiatives, projects, and other work.
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in computer science, MIS , IT, or other related area plus three (3) years related full-time paid experience OR a combination of related education and/or experience to equal seven (7) years.
For HSC Only: Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
For TTU Only: Applicants for this Security Sensitive Level II position will be subject to a criminal background check and must pass a drug and alcohol test after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
• Relational database management experience.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Exceptional ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize goals, and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
• Ability to analyze complex application and database problems, including logic errors, design problems, vendor software bugs, and performance problems and recommend and implement solutions.
• Ability to develop and deploy database design standards.
• Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to consistently produce exceptional quality work.
• Ability to perform technical work in designing, coding, implementing, and maintaining complex, efficient information technology systems in a university environment.
• Ability to effectively manage many important projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Oracle, Oracle Application Server and/or WebLogic, Linux, Windows Server, Shell Scripting, Ellucian Banner ERP , Ellucian Banner Operational Data Store experience helpful, but not required.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Hearing, Visual Acuity, Sitting, Manual Dexterity.
Hourly Pay Range
Monthly Pay Range
3,083 – 4,208 – 5,333
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.