Senior Housing Counselor-Coach/Project Coordinator
Reports To Director
Department Homeownership Center (HOC)
Hours FT: M-F, 9 am – 5:30 pm, some Saturdays and evenings
PT & Contract: 20-30 hours/week including some evenings and Saturdays
Travel Travel Required
Salary Range DOE
Employee Status Exempt, Salaried
Benefits Medical and Dental benefits on the first of the month following 90 days of employment; Two weeks vacation each year for the first five years, Paid Sick/Float Time, 11 Paid Holidays, Sponsored Life/AD&D, Voluntary 403(b) with matching plan, additional benefits.
The Unity Council’s Homeownership Center works to build healthy Communities and expand homeownership opportunities for under-served residents in the city of Oakland in particular, and throughout Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano Counties in general. The HOC provides financial education, counseling, and coaching that creates well-informed consumers and default resistant homeowners. We also provide access to affordable loan products and down payment assistance loan programs.
HOC’s goal is to provide consumers and aspiring homebuyers with the skills, knowledge and information to buy and maintain a home, or, to decrease consumer debt and increase savings on the path to financial stability, wealth building and/or homeownership.
Summary of Duties Housing Counselor/Coach
The Housing Counselor provides comprehensive individual counseling and/or coaching services to prospective homebuyers and existing homeowners. The counseling/coaching sessions may cover a broad array of areas related to the skills, knowledge and confidence necessary to buy, repair, maintain and keep a home or to meet client’s individual financial goals. The Housing Counselor’s main responsibility is to assess those obstacles faced by the customer in pursuing his or her goals, and to assist the client to develop and apply a corrective action plan, which then becomes the customer’s “roadmap to success.” The Counselor’s role is one of educator and coach: by utilizing tools relating to budgeting, debt reduction, credit re-building and consumer awareness, the Counselor helps facilitate the customer’s progress towards their goals. The customer’s role is to take the necessary action steps identified together by the Counselor and the client to accomplish the desired result.
As Project Coordinator, this person’s main function is to assists the Homeownership Director in developing systems to measure and track the impact of Homeownership Center’s services in delivering on its core mission: to create well informed consumers and default resistant homeowners.
Senior Housing Counselor/Coach
- Conduct comprehensive individual counseling/coaching sessions
- Assess customer’s mortgage-readiness status: identify obstacles, develop corrective action plan including debt reduction and savings strategies, assign customer tasks, and facilitate customer progress toward goals through regular and systematic follow-up procedure
- Adhere to all guidelines related to privacy and confidentiality
- Maintain client files, program files and loan product files
- Prepare and maintain detailed monthly pipeline reports relating to status and progress of customers in counseling and/or coaching program
- Maintain and update customer records after each counseling/coaching session customer-tracking systems
- Create hard-copy file in correct stacking order for each counseling/coaching customer that includes the intake form, credit report, counselor’s analysis, corrective action plan and client’s financial data
- Ensure that quality control measures are followed and that customer satisfaction is a priority of the counseling and/or coaching program
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual reports to funders
- Conduct community outreach and marketing for recruiting customers and guest speakers for homebuyer education workshops and financial empowerment Boot Camps
- Register and notify residents of homebuyer training events;
- Organize workshops
- Facilitate homebuyer education and financial literacy workshops;
- Prepare agendas, handouts and working materials;
- Secure and orient appropriate speakers for homebuyer trainings;
- Working knowledge and experience with local financing programs;
- Coordinate with the Unity Council staff on issues relating to homeownership counseling and lender programs;
- Carry out other duties as required to support the Unity Council’s counseling, coaching and mortgage lending efforts.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by management.
- Fluency in both Spanish and English preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong public speaking and communication skills
- Minimum one year experience in mortgage lending and finance
- Minimum two years experience working with customers on an individual basis in a teaching, counseling, coaching or mentoring role
- Demonstrated presentation skills with an ability to adjust style and pace to audience needs
- Strong computer skills in applications such as Word, Excel and Power Point
- Experience working with immigrant populations and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong project management and group facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently and as a productive team member
- Flexible, adaptive and positive in a constantly changing environment
- Detail-oriented, with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques to promote efficiency and successful customer outcomes
- Ability to identify internal weaknesses, identify solutions and to adapt counseling methods and tools to create more efficient systems and more effective customer outcomes
- Ability to sense when people are overwhelmed and to break obstacles down into manageable steps
- Dedicated to helping families solve their financial problems and accomplish their housing related goals
Valid Driver’s License, background check, written exam
Mail cover letter and resume to
The Unity Council
1900 Fruitvale Ave, Suite 2A
Oakland, CA 94601
E-mail Reply to Post
In your cover letter, identify the source of this job announcement and your salary requirement.
Because of the volume of anticipated responses, only those applicants who meet the required qualifications will be contacted for an interview.
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.