Dixieline/ProBuild is looking for a Cobol Programmer to perform analysis and programming activities. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team and work on key projects for the company moving forward. You’ll support the information systems needs of the organization including installing new and maintaining existing applications and control language programs; working at the highest technical level in all phases of systems solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulates and defines systems scope and objectives in determining approach to modifying or introducing new application programs; researches systems specifications needs, often meeting with users to perform fact-finding, related to work processes that require computer systems support.
- Produces accurate, logical and efficient application modifications which conform to the specifications and schedules provided or obtained through own research; solutions involve flow-charting, coding, debugging, testing and documenting applications programs that will address user needs.
- Devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results.
- Participates as team lead working on assigned components of major information systems projects; responsible for completing own work as well as integrating the work of others in completing complex projects; reviews the work of peers.
- Performs advanced trouble-shooting and testing of existing programs in order to analyze and identify (“debug”) program logic problems; writes and implements code to correct problems.
- Compiles documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, testing methodology and test results to ensure that new systems and modifications can be understood, interpreted by and used in training other IT staff.
- Ensures that procedures are in place that protect sensitive code and maintain data security.
- Develops expert knowledge of computer languages, coding methods and operating system requirements used in the organization’s IT environment; acts as resource to others inside and outside of department in analyzing systems solutions and forecasting future initiatives.
- In conjunction with department management, coordinates the move of new or modified programs from the test phase to the production environment.
- Assists in training of less experienced staff.
- Understands and observes all safety procedures and practices in order to prevent injury to self or co-workers; attends periodic safety meetings as required; may recommend changes to improve safety procedures.
- Other duties may be assigned.
· Expert level Knowledge of Cobol
· Knowledge of Linux/Shell Scripting, SQL, PL/SQL is a plus
· Knowledge of Windows operating systems (or others as appropriate)
· Knowledge of company standard programming languages
· Knowledge of applications programming
· Ability to analyze work processes and business logic and convert to visual flow-charts
· Ability to execute plans/projects through others
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to break down and synthesize complex technical knowledge in order to train less experienced staff
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and an enterprise resource planning (ERP) programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and four (4) years of programming and analysis experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The work environment and physical activity described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Work is in an office setting and generally sedentary with physical effort associated with using a computer, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
o May be required to occasionally lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 25 pounds.
o Work station set up requires ability squat, kneel, crawl, reach and twist torso.
ProBuild - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
ProBuild Holdings is where the pros go for building supplies. The company is one of the nation's largest suppliers of building...