Chicago Family Health Center (CFHC), founded in 1977, is a Federally Qualified Health Center providing quality primary care, oral health, behavioral health, and social support programs to medically underserved and uninsured residents living in far south and southeast parts of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois. With a total population of 375,195, the CFHC primary service area comprises eleven Chicago Community Areas including South Chicago, Roseland, Pullman, South Deering, East Side, West Pullman, Riverdale, Auburn Gresham, Chicago Lawn, West Lawn, and West Englewood. Thirty-seven years ago, CFHC’s staff of five served 400 patients in a small South Chicago storefront. Today, CFHC provides comprehensive primary healthcare to 28,000 patients through 106,000 visits. CFHC health services are accessible and utilized primarily by low-income African American and Hispanics. Cultural sensitivity, competency and diversity training are essential for all CFHC staff and inform our efforts to provide accessible and affordable healthcare to every patient.
Patient Financial Counselor (PFC) is responsible for interviewing, verifying insurance benefits, assisting and performing financial case management for uninsured and underinsured patients. Reviews, evaluates and coordinates health insurance benefits available through public and private health care coverage programs to ensure payment. Provides guidance and positive leadership in day-to-day activities and interacts with staff, patients and public and private partners.
• Interviews and counsels underinsured and uninsured patients to determine financial eligibility for insurance products and sliding fee scale
• Assists patients with the completion of enrollment applications
• Evaluates, confirms and documents third party payor coverage
• Performs ongoing insurance and payment counseling for continuous coverage and program compliance and coordinates results and information with operation and finance departments
• Responsible for reviewing and interpreting income tax papers, self-employment and income asset criteria for patient enrollment into health care options
• Communicates CFHC services and educates on primary and preventative services available through CFHC and covered by health coverage program
• Records and maintains accurate and complete financial documentation in the electronic health record as well as other coverage systems as required
• Documents all patient contact
• Participates in meetings as appropriate to facilitate and enhance the eligibility determination process.
• Builds relationships with and educate service providers and other professionals to facilitate referrals and increase awareness of health coverage resources
• Develops, compiles, and/or distributes literature about the benefits, eligibility requirements, and availability of health coverage programs.
• Provides financial counseling to patients needing special payment arrangements
• Maintains a thorough and current knowledge of health coverage programs, both public and private programs. Knowledgeable of benefit levels
• Addresses and resolves complex enrollment and financial questions and concerns
• Performs all other duties as assigned
Mandatory Job Qualifications
EDUCATION EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Associates Degree with a minimum of two years of relevant experience or BA preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with public and private health coverage programs and Illinois Insurance Exchange
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability is required
• Must exercise discretion in management of information and use logical reasoning principles
• Good communication and inter-personal skills
• Excellent phone skills
• Good organizational skills
• Flexible and energetic
• Great customer service skills
• Ability to travel between sites and off-site locations
• Computer skills required
• Ability to work evenings and some Saturdays
• Work independently with a keen analytical sense
Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. Some bending and stretching required. Manual dexterity using calculator and computer keyboard.
Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work.
NPO.net - 30+ days ago
Chicago Family Health Center received a grant from Grant Healthcare Foundation, which will allow it to continue to serve the underserved...