This class consists of administrative and technical work installing, configuring and administering Linux operating systems. The incumbent works in partnership with other employees, departments/divisions, agencies and the public in delivering effective and innovative services. Provide holistic services to the public by seeking ways to integrate programs or services provided by other departments, divisions and agencies.
Essential Required Tasks/Examples of Duties:
(Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City and County of Broomfield retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential tasks and additional functions of the job at any time. Examples of duties are intended to be illustrative only and are not intended to be all-inclusive or restrictive.)
This position acts as the lead site contact for Linux servers.
May also assist with Active Directory security authorizations. May assist with ensuring that the UPS systems for all data and voice network equipment and servers are working. Take a proactive approach for future growth.
- Install, configure, and administer Linux operating systems
- Analyze and resolve problems associated with the operating system's server, hardware, applications, and software.
- Detect, diagnose, and report Linux related problems on servers.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Provide administrative services such as monitoring, patching, lifecycle and remote management.
- Establish monitoring software/metrics to provide accurate representation of hardware, o/s, database and server environments.
- Serve as a conduit for incident resolution in cases of service interruption. Assist in the root cause analysis to provide recommendations on technology and process improvements.
- Determine underlying root causes of incidents.
- Provide change management and impact analysis for infrastructure driven projects.
- Effectively manage the life cycle of infrastructure assets in support of the IT Framework.
- Proactively identify opportunities to reduce cost and/or gain efficiencies.
- Engage in organizational process improvement, collaborate with other support teams to develop and improve processes, and take actions on items important to business continuation.
- Provide local expertise and incident management for a wide variety of applications and technologies. This includes: Participating in a 24x7 on call rotation, working with the help desk to act as a problem solution resource, creating troubleshooting and resolution documents.
- Stay current on technology trends and practices.
- Maintain Linux platforms by planning, installing, improving, troubleshooting Linux operating systems and hardware.
- Install, configure and manage Apache HTTP, Tomcat, and other web-oriented applications.
- Manage deployment of Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies using Tomcat.
- Maintain platform security and disaster prevention/recovery by developing, implementing, enforcing, and maintaining procedures.
- Administer daily applications and data backups for Linux and Windows servers.
Implement and maintain policies, procedures and work rules to ensure the security, integrity and recovery of all data and programs across the city’s multiple platforms. Operate equipment as required including personal computers, mid-range computers, telephone, cell phone and diagnostic tools. Operate a motor vehicle in order to travel to all City and County worksites. Identify and recommend improvements in divisional and departmental operations to ensure support functions are efficient and cost effective. Take proper safety precautions, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and act accordingly to prevent accidents. Use all required safety equipment. Ensure the availability of full network support, 24 hours, 7 days per week, by participating in a second level support rotation. Perform other duties as required.
Training - Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related area.
Experience - 3+ years of Linux System Administration experience. Experience working with Linux in a virtual environment (VMware). Experience with Linux clustering (high availability services). Perl or Shell scripting experience. Linux Infrastructure experience – DNS, LDAP, RPM packaging, SMTP, SNMP, NFS, SVN, DHCP, VOIP, SQL, Ngrep, Wireshark, tcpdump, SELinux. Check_Mk, Nagios, Cacti, SSL, SSH.
Hardware experience – All makes and models of Dell hardware.
Any experience with load balancers considered a plus.
Any equivalent combination of training and experi¬ence that provides evidence that the applicant posses¬ses the Necessary Applicant Traits.
Necessary Special Requirements - Must be at least 18 years of age. Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s license and a safe driving record for continued employment. New hires must, as a condition of employment, successfully pass the following pre-offer and post-offer/hire processes: oral board, background check, local police records check including sex-offender list, reference checks, driving records check through DMV, and fingerprint check through CBI/FBI.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. The noise level in the environment is moderate. Work is generally scheduled Monday through Friday although special needs may require Saturday, Sunday, holiday and evening hours. On-call is rotated every 30 days. The incumbent could be exposed to the risk of electrical shock if proper safety and operating procedures are not followed. The employee will operate a motor vehicle in order to travel to City and County worksites. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk or hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Physical demands are described as light (exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Daily tasks may require sitting at a computer for several hours. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
City & County of Broomfield, CO - 23 months ago