Skills: Two years radiology specific college coursework, associate degree or diploma required. Primary ARRT certification required within one year of graduation from program of study (employees hired prior to 1984 are exempt from this requirement, ARRT is preferred). New Mexico State licensed required. Current BLS required. One year of CT experience preferred, ARRT (CT) certification preferred.
Knowledge: Requires detailed knowledge of C.T. scanning procedures and protocols and anatomy and pathology in terms of what and how work is to be done as well as why it is done, this level includes interpretation of data. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span.
Abilities: Mental Power: Ability to make decisions are varied but are usually confined to situations which are familiar. There are several defined alternative solutions available.
Mental Power: Ability to exercise choice in how work is accomplished with independence to operate within established policies, procedures and schedules.
Physical Power: Walks/on feet 6 hours a day. Transfers patients from gurney/wheel chair to x-ray table. Arm/wrist/hand movement requiring force. Sits for one hour a day. Lifts 20 pounds. Reaches overhead.
Primary Job Functions
- Schedules, performs and formats all types of C.T. scans.
- Verifies patient name and procedure to be performed before scanning.
- Verifies exam order by reviewing patient chart or verbal order with outpatient.
- Educates patient prior to scanning procedure explaining the procedure and answering patient questions.
- Provides written documentation of procedures performed and patient history pertaining to scan performed. Also does patient follow up by phone when required (e.g. biopsy patients, abscess drainage, etc.).
- Assists physician during special procedures; set up and maintain sterile trays and equipment. Anticipates any equipment and/or supply needs during procedures.
- Maintains established department policies, procedures, objectives and quality assurance, safety.
- Assists in maintaining upkeep of department and equipment - including ordering and stocking supplies when necessary.
- Attends section staff meetings, pertinent inservices, workshops and/or seminars for continuing education to enhance professional growth and development. Become eligible for taking C.T. Registry within 2 years from date of hire. Recommend becoming C.T. Registered within 5 years from date of hire.
- Performs other functions as required.
Presbyterian Healthcare Services - 23 months ago