Job Title: Associate General Counsel – Corporate Group
Reports to: Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel – Corporate Group
Objective: To provide advice and counsel primarily to the senior management team and the finance, accounting and investor relations departments of the company and its publicly-traded mortgage REITs and other managed funds on a wide variety of corporate finance, securities law and governance matters.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Corporate Financings/Transactions : Provide legal representation in various types of corporate financings (including public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, credit facilities, securitizations, collateralized loan obligations and asset-backed commercial paper programs), acquisitions, dispositions, private fund formations and other transactions.
- Derivatives : Provide legal representation in a broad range of derivative transactions, including structured repo and securities lending transactions, financial swaps and credit derivatives.
- Corporate Governance and SEC Reporting : Provide general business counsel and securities law expertise on a wide variety of corporate governance, SEC reporting, disclosure and other legal compliance matters.
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant general corporate and securities law experience at a national law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Excellent academic credentials with a J.D. from a top tier law school and membership in at least one state bar in the U.S.
- Strong corporate transactional background with experience negotiating and drafting a variety of complex financing agreements.
- Solid knowledge of U.S. securities laws applicable to public and private debt and equity offerings required.
- Experience with derivative products required.
- Experience with REIT financings and/or offerings of structured securities preferred.
- Ability to work directly and independently with all levels of the organization (senior management, finance, accounting, etc.) and to gain the trust and confidence of others.
- A skilled team-oriented attorney, willing to perform all transaction related tasks from due diligence to drafting, negotiating and closing.
- Strong and effective communications and client relationship/management skills, including ability to effectively frame issues to drive strategic thinking and execution.
- Ability to function in an unstructured environment with independence and autonomy.
American Capital - 13 months ago