Job duties include but are not limited to:|
Experience and Education:
- Strong technical manager to direct the activities of a team of Mechanical Engineers who are involved in the development of cutting-edge genetic analysis instruments incorporating optics, fluidics, precision motion systems, and thermal control.
- Lead functional excellence in the mechanical engineering group, and the development of new technologies that enable higher performance and lower cost in Illumina’s genetic analysis instrumentation.
- Interface with project managers, peers, engineers, scientists and other departments such as Systems Engineering, Software, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, and Optics Engineering to define product scope and project staffing.
- Provide Functional Management oversight to ensure projects meet aggressive performance and time-to-market targets
- Participate as a core team member, leader or extended team member on various projects
- Manage efforts to continue to grow the Mechanical Engineering team by driving hiring and staffing efforts.
- Negotiate and manage consultants, outsourcing partners, and co-development projects with attention to requirements, interfaces, schedule, and budget.
- Mentor, coach, and manage the performance of direct reports, including first-level managers, in order to set them up for success and provide for career growth both technically and managerially
- Develop and advocate for engineering best practices aligned with Illumina’s product development strategy
- Coach and facilitate functional group members in developing subsystem requirements, options analysis, test methods, and robust designs
- Interface with Senior Management regularly on program status and product strategy
- Work with other members of the Engineering Management to define the long term development plans and strategy for the department, including development models and methods.
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Minimum ten years’ experience developing advanced scientific instruments, preferably biomedical devices or related to biotech applications
- Extensive experience designing mechanical architecture and subsystems for complex instruments that include imaging/optics, fluidics, motion control, and thermal control.
- Experience in performing reliability analyses, FMEAs, and designing for robust performance in the field
- Experience with methods and processes for low cost/high volume design is preferred
- Experience in managing product development projects, using PDP process preferred, while managing and mentoring Junior & Senior Engineers of various disciplines
- A track record of excellent communication, team building, conflict resolution skills, and the ability to make decisions and drive collaboration in a matrix organization.
- Experience managing teams and projects from different sites
- Knowledgeable with manufacturing processes and transfer of products into a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to design, document, prototype and debug hardware systems
- Experience with diagnostic products FDA regulated markets is a plus
Illumina, Inc. - 17 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze genes. Its syst...