Sales Specialist, Systems
Scope and Impact
- Responsible for creating and driving their sales pipeline.
- Capture leads outside of specialization and use closed-loop lead management to ensure assignment and follow-up by others.
- Maintain knowledge of competitors in account to strategically position HP's products and services better.
- Use specialty expertise to seek out new opportunities and expand and enhance existing opportunities to build the pipeline in and drive pursuit.
- Provide support to Account managers and provide input regarding business development and solution expertise.
- Development of quota objectives and future direction for defined product category.
- Some specialists also responsible for selling outsourcing deals.
- Establish a professional, working, and consultative, relationship with the client, up to and including the C-level for mid-to-large accounts, by developing a core understanding of the unique business needs of the client within their industry.
- May invest time working with and leveraging external partners to deliver sale.
- For Services Consultants: Focus on growing contractual renewals for mid-to-large accounts with more complexity, to higher-total contract-value renewals.
- Directs or coordinates supporting sales activities
- Works on HP's larger accounts.
- May perform project management role.
- May invest time working external partners.
- Significant percentage of time spent directly with customer; interfaces with all levels, including highest within customer organization.
- May develop business plan in conjunction with customer.
- Typically assigned higher than average quota.
Education and Experience Required:
- University or Bachelor's degree
- Directly related previous work experience.
- Demonstrated achievement of progressively higher quota, diversity of business customer, and higher level customer interface.
- Extensive selling experience within industry and on similar products.
- Typically 8-12 years of advanced sales experience.
- Project management skills required.
- 2-3 years of product sales in the desired specialty.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Critical Competencies to Drive Business Results:
- Is considered an expert in knowledge of products, solution or service offerings as well as competitor's offerings to be able to sell large solutions.
- Understands the industry and market segment in which key accounts are situated, and integrates this knowledge into consultative selling.
- Understands and applies program/project management methods and processes to define, plan, cost, resource, track and ensure successful pursuit.
- Understands the role of IT within area of specialization and how HP's solutions differentially address specific vertical industry challenges as well as their cross-segment capabilities
- Account planning and accurate account revenue forecasting skills.
- Collaborates with management and sales teams in shared accounts to ensure seamless integration of specialist sales with other sales activities.
- Cultivates & maintains positive relationships with customers to ensure account retention & growth, and position HP as the preferred vendor for meeting all business needs
- Excellent project management skills.
- Establishes a professional working relationship, up to the executive level, with the client.
- Demonstrates leadership and initiative in successfully driving specialty sales in accounts - prospecting, negotiating and closing deals.
- Demonstrates high service or product knowledge and professionalism in researching and sharing service-related information with account teams and customers.
- Deep knowledge of products, solution or service offerings as well as competitor's offerings.
- Understands how to leverage HP's portfolio and change the playing field on our competitors.
- Utilizes Siebel as an expert and accurately forecasts business.
- Understands and sells high value software solutions
- Understands selling of services sales.
- Leverages services as part of strategic product sales.
- Maintain expertise of industry trends, associated solutions, and key partner/ISV solutions.
- Maintains expertise on IT at all levels - new applications, maintenance, typical budgets of the CIO's, typical objectives, measures, metrics.
New Business Acquisition
Aggressively searches for opportunities in new or existing accounts, expanding business in a way that ensures profitability for HP
Opportunity Qualification, Development and Closing
Assesses feasibility of pursuing an opportunity given what the customer is trying to accomplish, competitive presence and strength, and risk to HP of proceeding. Defines and positions well-targeted solutions to generate customer acceptance, develop internal HP buy-in, and wins the deal
Establishes HP' technical credibility with customers, educates account teams in area of specialization, and provides an interface between HP and its customer base
Account Planning and Alignment
Supports the development of account plans that focus sales activities, ensure accurate forecasts, and integrate specialist-selling seamlessly within an overall account strategy
Customer Relationship Management
Demonstrates customer-sensitive practices within accounts to support trust in HP and advance HP's account presence
Margin Management Support
Supports maintenance of the profit margin essential for protecting the business interests of HP
Sales Effectiveness Fundamentals
Tools & Resources Utilization, Businesses & Offers, Competitive Positioning, Organizational Collaboration
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Hewlett-Packard Company, or HP, is a multinational information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California, USA. HP got...