The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is a multi-modal transportation agency that is responsible for planning, building, operating and maintaining a complex highway system in addition to providing title, registration and driver license services to the general public throughout the state of Arizona. ADOT also operates and maintains the Grand Canyon Airport and publishes the award-winning Arizona Highways magazine. ADOT values its employees, challenges them to continuously improve the way we do business, to meet and exceed the needs of our customers, and to carry out their duties in an ethical manner. Apply today for a chance to become a part of the ADOT team.
HIGHWAY OPERATIONS WORKER
(Underfilling Highway Operations Technician 3)
ITD/Phoenix Maintenance District/Mesa
Work Location: 2409 N. Country Club Drive, Mesa, AZ 85201
This is a training classification with promotional opportunities up to a Highway Operations Technician 3 upon meeting the qualifications for each classification level, and recommendation by the supervisor.
Position Description: Learns to perform tasks including operation of construction and maintenance type motorized vehicles and equipment appropriate to maintenance. Job duties include road repair, litter removal, repair of fence and guardrail, clean culverts and drains, operate heavy equipment, maintain the highways, etc. Attends training required to stay current in performing tasks for this position. This position responds to emergency callouts within 30 minutes. Overtime will be required; including working nights, weekends and holidays. This position also responds to 24/7 emergency call-outs on a rotational basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Procedures, practices and methods of operation, preventive maintenance and minor repair of vehicles and equipment used in the work activities.
- Procedures, practices and methods of operation, and preventative maintenance of equipment and tools used in the work activities.
- Working knowledge of computer systems.
- Performing road repairs, operating motorized vehicles such as flatbed and dump trucks, trailers, jackhammer, backhoe, loader, and powered and non-powered equipment and tools.
- Interpretations and application of Federal, State, and agency laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to work activities, safety practices and public relations.
- Effective communications both verbally and written.
Ideal Candidate: Will have motorized equipment operation experience that is utilized in highway maintenance or construction, with Federal, State, county or private contractors; or experience equivalent to a laborer in the public or private sector.
- Plan, coordinate, analyze, and perform multiple tasks.
- Communicate with public in the field to provide information regarding travel directions and road directions.
- Assist with emergency situations.
Note: This position requires possession of a valid Arizona Class D Driver License. Candidates for this position must complete and sign the Driver Form on page 6 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment at the time of interview, which will allow ADOT to obtain the candidate's motor vehicle record (MVR). The most recent 39-month period shown on the MVR will be reviewed in accordance with A.A.C. R2-10-207.12 (H) and (I). The review must show an acceptable driving record prior to any offer of employment being made by ADOT. Employment is contingent upon an acceptable MVR.
- Employment is contingent upon passing a drug test and a medical/physical examination.
- An Arizona CDL (Class "A" or "B") permit is required prior to start date.
- An Arizona CDL with N (Tanker) endorsement is required before permanent status is granted.
- High School Diploma or successful completion of a General Education Development (GED) examination. Education must be detailed on resume to receive appropriate credit.
You must apply on line no later than the close date or first review date of the job announcement at 5:00 p.m., Mountain Standard Time. You will not be able to apply after the close date/time because job posting are removed from the job board at that time, unless other wise specified.
All newly hired employees are subject to the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
RETIREMENT: This position participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)*.
BENEFITS: Comprehensive benefits package includes accrual of sick and vacation leave, and 10 holidays per year; health* and dental insurance*; retirement plan; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance. Optional employee benefits include short-term disability*, deferred compensation, and supplemental life insurance*.
- ASRS enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment, if not already an ASRS member at the time of hire.
Please visit http://www.azdot.gov/Inside_ADOT/HR/Employment.asp to learn more about benefits given to ADOT employees.
- Elective benefits for new employees hired on or after July 20, 2011, will be subject to a 90-day waiting period, except for transfers from other State agencies or who regularly worked for the State of Arizona within 2 years prior to the date of hire.
To submit your resume for consideration, please hit the "APPLY" button below.
AGENCY JOB BOARD ID: ADOT
State of Arizona - 4 months ago
The mission of the Department of Transportation is to serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient...