A Staff Pharmacist is responsible for the proper storage and distribution of drugs and medicinal agents to the ultimate user; maintenance of proper records; and relating of drug information within the limits of professional judgment. Staff Pharmacists have supervisory, administrative, technical and judgmental responsibility for assuring the appropriateness of patient medication regimens.This responsibility includes acquisition and preparation, and/or sterilization of medication forms as well as their distribution, control, inspection, storage, labeling and records maintenance. Staff Pharmacists are also responsible for using research, interpretive, and writing skills to provide accurate and timely responses to drug information and consultation problems; assisting in the planning, organization, implementation, monitoring and enforcement of Pharmacy Services policies; participation in patient, student and staff teaching programs; participating in drug utilization review activities; performing clinical pharmacy services as needed; and accepting on-call responsibilities.
- Reviews physician medication orders for appropriateness to identify possible dosing, scheduling, contraindication, allergy, drug interaction and incompatibility problems; contacts the physician if follow-through or drug order clarification is necessary; communicates with physician regarding the formulary suggesting changes when appropriate.
- Assumes responsibility for interpretation and verification of medication orders and preparation and distribution of standard and extemporaneous dosage forms in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care based on the physical, psychosocial, safety and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served.
- Instructs patients on medications to be taken after discharge from the hospital: drug name, strength, indication, dose, interval, possible side effects, refill instructions and other information is conveyed.
- Assists in the enforcement of departmental policies and programs.
- Maintains necessary records to fulfill Federal and State legal requirements and hospital policies regarding all phases of handling controlled substances and prescription items in the institutional setting.
- Participates in professional pharmacy organization(s) at the local and national levels to be aware of pharmacy developments.
- Monitors drug inventory and assists in reordering, and maintaining an adequate inventory.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy from an accredited college of pharmacy,
- OR Pharmacy D. degree.
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience preferred.
- Current State Registered Pharmacist license required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification preferred.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
WA-Tacoma-St Joseph Medical Center
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...