Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. However, it’s still early days for AWS and cloud computing in general. Some of the core building blocks that will form the foundation of tomorrow’s cloud applications have not yet been built. We are seeking an innovative senior engineering leader to own, build, and grow a new and foundational AWS service. This new service will address a set of unmet customer needs related to content delivery, making it even easier for customers to build, operate, and scale applications on AWS. We believe this service will grow to be a very large business for Amazon.
As the senior engineering leader you will be responsible for building and leading the team that will design, develop, test, and operate this new service. You’ll hire talented engineers and bring them together as a team to innovate and deliver. You will leverage your experience with distributed systems and storage technologies to define and build a secure, reliable, scalable, fast, cost-effective, and easy to use product. After launch you will draw on customer feedback as well as usage and operational data to quickly iterate and evolve the product. You’ll help set, and will be expected to deliver on, aggressive goals for adoption, operational performance, and feature delivery. You’ll report directly to the Vice President of AWS Edge Services and will be part of the AWS leadership team as well as the leadership community at Amazon. You’ll play a critical role in business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy.
To be successful in this role you’ll need an established background in building web-scale services, solid business judgment, great communication skills, and the ability to achieve results in an agile and quickly evolving environment. You’ll need strong customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying customers’ feature requests. Strong team building skills are essential as you’ll be building your new team from the ground up.
This position represents a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help shape the technology, product, and the business.
** For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com **
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 10+ years people management experience
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Hires and develops great people
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status-qua)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Thinks big
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Has a bias for action
• Delivers results
• Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing
• Knowledge and experience with web-scale services and distributed systems
• Knowledge and experience with storage, file system, or database technologies
Amazon.com - 10 months ago
Amazon.com is an American international multibillion dollar electronic commerce company with headquarters in Seattle, Washington, United...