May work up to 19 hours per week .
Performs tasks such as sorting recycled materials and driving a truck and trailer to the mobile recycling site.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Work involves sorting collected recycling such as rigid plastics, mixed paper, newspaper, metals cans, cardboard, etc; and maintaining records associated with items received. Employee is also responsible for operating a service truck with trailer. Work involves promoting recycling, educating and assisting recycling patrons in separation of materials to recycle, and performing a variety of other tasks such as policing recycling area, housekeeping, and miscellaneous duties as may be assigned. Employee is subject to the usual unpleasant working conditions of outside attendants. Attendants reports day-to-day to the Landfill Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
· Assists patrons with sorting and placing recycling materials into designated containers
· Delivers collected materials to landfill recycling site; unload truck bed of collected materials into designated receptacles.
· Maintains logs/records of recyclables and other items received.
· Operates service truck with recycling trailer
· Hitches and un-hitches the recycling trailer.
· Greets recyclers, assists and educates patrons in materials accepted for recycling to ensure compliance with established policies, procedures and standards.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of the policies, procedures, organization and operation of the county recycling and landfill operations.
· Knowledge of the operation of motorized equipment used in recycling or other assigned duties.
· Knowledge of the occupational hazards and proper safety precautions involved in operating assigned motorized equipment.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to explain applicable recycling/solid waste rules and regulations to the public in a tactful and effective manner.
· Ability to work effectively in an unpleasant working environment and is able to perform heavy physical labor required of the position.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
Must be physically able to operate a medium truck with trailer, shovels, rakes, hand tools, small personal items (cell phones, camera) etc. Attendant must be able to exert in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Requires the ability to climb, reach and/or stretch arms, legs or other parts of body to grasp and move objects. Physical demand requirements are for performing heavy work.
Graduation from high school or equivalent and one year experience in manual labor, operation of service truck with trailer; or the equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license.
Preference given for active CDL license and work experience in recycling programs.