The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The UW College of Education believes that an effective public education system for a diverse citizenry is the cornerstone of democracy. To that end, we dedicate our resources toward making an excellent education a daily reality for every student in every community across this state and country.
THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SEATTLE, College of Education , seeks a part time, 50%FTE Data Manager for a large-scale randomized control trial evaluation of the impact of the Second Step social-emotional learning program. Reporting to the PI and working with the Project Coordinator, the Data Manager will be a key member of the research project team and will oversee data management, generation of reports from the data, and cleansing of the data to prepare for statistical analyses. The Data Manager will utilize data systems to manage and track lists of participating teachers and students, and link this participant information to online data collection system (i.e., Datstat). The Data Manager will also download completed survey data from the online data collection system and integrate into the main data management system.
In preparation for the second year of the Second Step study, in which new participant lists will need to be created as students transition into new classes, and in order to link the lists to online data collection, the Data Manager will perform analyses that consist of producing reports that include summary statistics of number of participating teachers and students, student demographics, and responses to online survey items. In support of this effort the Data Manager will:
• Oversee and manage the storage and cleaning of data collected from in schools and online
• Oversee and manage participant information for the second year of implementation using the Access database system as students transition to different classrooms
• Create recruitment reports that discuss the number of participating students from each of the schools
• Download data from online survey software into Excel files and prepare the data for merging into main data management system
• Merge Excel data files into SPSS
• Oversee complex data entry from in-person data collected in the schools (e.g., observation data and academic probes)
• Create syntax to recode and score data for entry into main data management system
• Perform descriptive data analysis in order to produce reports that include summary statistics of number of participating teachers and students, student demographics, and responses to online survey items
• Other duties as assigned
For detailed information on Benefits for this position click here.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics or a related field, to include two years of SPSS statistical programming/analysis in social or health sciences fields
• Excellent data management and statistical programming skills
• Excellent computer skills, to include advance skills in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access
• Self-motivated, disciplined individual who can perform at a high level in a fast-paced environment
• Capacity to effectively prioritize work to meet project deadlines
• Ability to work both as an individual contributor and as a team member
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and SPSS
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
• Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics or a related field
• Understanding of educational assessment data and nested data structures
• Knowledge of DatStat Illume Survey Software
Condition of Employment:
Part of the application process for this position includes completing an on-line cover letter assessment as well as the Employment Eligibility Assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment(s) will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.
A satisfactory result from a criminal background check may be required prior to hire.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org .