Dispatcher Job Description
The Dispatcher is responsible for all driver load assignments and other delivery service tasks for the fleet supporting the customers’ operations. This position will report to the Logistics Manager.
- Daily communication and interaction with CDL Class A Truck Drivers including yard spotters, local delivery drivers, and over-the-road drivers.
- Assign work to all drivers during a specific shift.
- Maintain positive relationships with drivers and customers.
- Responsible for influencing positive employee morale and quality customer service. Address driver problems as they arise and report issues to management and HR as needed.
- Manage drivers’ use of On-Board Computer system for electronic Logs and Trip Management.
- Utilize Transportation Management System to manage all aspects of customer deliveries, backhauls, returns, and special transportation requests.
- Ensure all trips in Transportation Management System are properly coded for billing accuracy.
- Utilize Trip Management System to ensure all transportation orders are completed in real-time.
- Complete the Shift hand-off process on a daily basis to ensure a smooth transition between Dispatch shifts.
- Work with Backhaul Coordinator and Logistics Manager to increase backhaul percentage and minimize empty miles and dead-head lanes.
- Ensure all loads are Dispatched in a timely manner to ensure On-Time Delivery to customers.
- Work with Logistics Manager to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective mode of delivery is used for all shipments.
- Work with Management and Drivers to follow company Safety Program and Policies to measure and reduce the occurrence and cost of collisions, injuries, near-misses, and equipment damage.
- Track equipment usage to ensure good utilization and ensure repairs are made in a timely manner.
- Report all equipment repair needs and damages to Management in a time manner.
- Track and report all driver attendance incidents to ensure staffing levels are adequate to meet customer demand.
- Ensure all payroll and timekeeping records are accurate and reported in a timely manner to Management and Payroll Department.
- Ensure DOT and Company Policy compliance is maintained for all Drivers (Random Drug Screening, Certification of Violations/MVR, Annual Medical Reviews, etc.)
- Ensure all equipment inspections are completed and vehicle registration and Inspection Reports are updated in Transportation Management System and are physically located onboard the equipment.
- Ensure all Accident Reporting procedures are followed per company policy.
- Organize and conduct activities to ensure safe, cost-effective, on-time operating performance.
- Track and report sign-in/sign-out times, ensure routes are timely, and communicate service issues to management and customer service.
- Handle all incoming calls and ensure timely responses to customers, vendors, drivers, carriers, etc., and communicate issues with drivers and Logistics Manager.
- Monitor driver performance and report issues to Management.
- Process and file all paperwork handled during assigned shift.
- Create, monitor, and update reports on a daily basis as needed.
- Communicate all pertinent issues to the incoming Dispatcher to ensure all issues are handled.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- High School Diploma (Bachelor's degree in Business, Logistics, or Transportation preferred).
- Minimum 5 years’ experience dispatching private and/or dedicated fleet CDLA truck drivers.
- Minimum 1 year experience using On-Board Computer system including electronic Logs and Trip Management.
- Minimum 1 year experience using automated Trip Management system including direct-to-truck dispatch, resource planning and management, and MRP interfacing.
- Excellent PC skills to include MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Internet Explorer/Google Chrome.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to work flexible and/or extended shifts when needed.
- 10-20% Travel.