ECS Federal is seeking a Marine Biologist to work in our American Samoa office. Please note this position is contingent upon contract award.
• Provide technical assistance in the areas of coral reef conservation and planning, restoration ecology, and fisheries science/ecology.
• Provide management assistance to the relevant coral reef management program as requested or as required to maintain programs and meet all Coral Reef Conservation Act (CRCA) requirements.
o Serve as primary management liaison for the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program (CRCP) for coral reef management priorities and initiatives in American Samoa.
o Coordinate with American Samoa coral reef points of contact and other appropriate agencies on NOAA CRCP activities in the region.
o Provide coordination for regional coral activities.
o Provide development and implementation support for local action strategies initiatives in American Samoa.
o Provide support for American Samoa efforts to develop and manage marine protected areas (MPAs) and to build MPA management capacity.
• Serve as the primary liaison for the American Samoa Cooperative Agreement, and assist as necessary with other CRCP and National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)-associated coral grants.
o Review coral reef grant proposals and provide recommendations for funding.
o Ensure that documentation on all coral reef projects is complete, including permits; matching fund requirements for projects are met; compliance with applicable environmental laws is achieved; and adequate facilitation of monitoring of ongoing coral reef management and restoration projects is realized.
• Provide technical assistance and support American Samoa efforts for watershed management in priority coral reef areas and build watershed management capacity, including assisting in the review of water development projects to determine their potential impact on coral reef ecosystem resources.
• Provide an interface between regional CRCP components and regional coastal zone management-related activities.
• Coordinate development of coral reef outreach and education materials.
• Financial Assistance and Management - Assist American Samoa with applying for financial assistance award, as needed. Support the Federal Program Officer (FO) efforts to negotiate process, amend and monitor financial assistance awards to assigned Coastal Zone Management (CZM) program(s) incorporating Section 312 and 309 information and requirements; and provide recommendations for funding including any necessary special award conditions to FO. Assist with monitoring performance of awards and make recommendations to FO on acceptability of progress reports to assigned CZM program(s).
• CZM Program Implementation and Program Changes - Monitor assigned CZM program implementation, monitor proposed changes to programs and, if submitted, review for approvability and process as formal program changes, and complete program change staff memo and tables for each assigned coastal program by assigned deadline.
• Program Evaluation -
o Ongoing Program Evaluation: On an ongoing basis, identify priority program issues and problems and work with the federal task lead and American Samoa to develop solutions to identified problems. Document progress on recommendations (Necessary Actions and Program Suggestions) from recent 312 evaluations.
o Formal Section 312 Evaluations: For programs undergoing a CZMA Section 312 evaluation, assist in preparation and participate in the evaluation and review draft and final findings.
• Performance Measures - Review American Samoa annual on-line performance measure submissions and provide program comments on any deficiencies with submitted data or metadata by assigned deadline.
• Bachelors degree in marine science, biology, or a related field, plus 7 years of experience.
• Five years of experience in the scientific or environmental fields.
• Knowledge and background in coral reef biology/ecology.
• Experience living and working with different cultures, preferably in an island community.
• Costal and marine management experience preferred.
• Knowledge of sustainable development, including, but not limited to: alternative energy, waste management, and smart growth.
• Proficient with MS Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate in Samoan is desirable.
• (1) Ability to build strong relationships based on mutual respect and trust. (2) Ability to deal successfully with ambiguities and unknowns. (3) Ability to perform multiple simultaneous functions with critical deadlines with little/no oversight. (4) Motivated, self starter. (5) Process oriented with an attention to detail. (6) Strong communication and writing skills.
• Graduate degree in marine science, biology, or equivalent experience.
ECS Federal, Inc. is a proud Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. ECS, Inc. embraces diversity by providing equal employment opportunities for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and status as an individual with a disability or protected veteran. ECS Federal, Inc. also maintains a drug-free workplace.
ECS Federal is a leading mid-sized provider of technology services to the United States Federal Government. Every day, our 1200+ employees focus on providing their technical talent to support the Federal Agencies and Departments of the US Government to serve, protect and defend the American People.
The programs and missions we support are complex, often unique and they directly affect the everyday lives of Americans within the United States and abroad. ECS Federal takes its mission very seriously and has established a culture built to attract, recognize, retain and manage the very best technology professionals for our projects.
As a mid-sized company ECS Federal enjoys many advantages, we have the experience and resources of a large business along with the focus, agility and innovation of a small business. ECS Federal customers have a very direct relationship with senior managers; as a result, we know what is happening with every one of our projects and customers. This high level of corporate commitment has allowed ECS Federal to experience 10 years of consistent growth without compromising the quality of our solutions and services.
ECS Federal LLC
- 2 years ago - save job