Description The Senior Director Research Markets (Sr. Director) will provide a key leadership role that directs and drives global marketing strategy and its execution for all research instrument systems related to the Cell Analysis markets. This includes life cycle management of existing products and leadership of strategy for new product development and acquisition. He/She develops and ensures that budgets, schedules, and performance requirements are met. This candidate will have a significant influence over the BD Bioscience Research Instrument Systems $400 million P&L. This role focuses on all markets for research including academic, government, clinical and commercial use. However it will be the charter of this individual to create strategies that allows the group to think more broadly across the markets, segments and customers; to help explore new opportunities. As a result the candidate must articulate clear, concise, and advanced marketing strategies and analytics including branding, positioning, integrated value propositions and definition of robust life cycle management strategies. |
The Sr. Director will interface with customers, marketing staff and sales people on a worldwide basis to drive a clear worldwide integrated research strategy. He/She provides hands-on direction and support for the US organization and works with the regional marketing teams to deliver direction and support for the Global sales organization. The Sr. Director must ensure the international business units receive product information necessary to meet their goals and that primary product attributes and positioning is suitable for worldwide use. It is critical that the Sr. Director develops collaborative relationships with relevant U.S. and global product and commercialization partners as a means to grow the business. He/She must develop worldwide relationships to gain a better understanding of customer needs and to benchmark best demonstrated practices that can be applied to BD Biosciences.
He/She will be required to deal expertly with key opinion leaders. The Sr. Director will be relied on to evaluate acquisitions (companies and technologies) as well as suitable partners for joint ventures. BD Biosciences will rely on this individual to provide leadership on where the company should invest and with whom they should collaborate. The Sr. Director will define new market opportunities and proactively solicit customer feedback in the development process. The ideal candidate will establish themselves as the thought leader in marketing and marketing plan development. It will be his/her role to define the core marketing strategy, create the value proposition and positioning statements while identifying new market and customer segments. The ideal candidate should also have strong experience in building teams with the required functional and management skillset to drive our strategic priorities.
Additional specific responsibilities include:
· Manages and coordinates the activities of BD Biosciences Research Instrument Systems Marketing staff with responsibility for results in terms of achievement of budgeted levels of sales and gross margins, costs, methods, and employees. Also develops and manages departmental expense budgets.
· Serves as an expert in requirements for all phases of mature and new product development process, from idea generation through market launch developing product requirements and user needs and development of business cases to support new product ideas.
· Leads product life cycle management, business strategy planning, and financial justification/analysis using product line financial management tools.
· Responsible for defining market size, BD Biosciences market share and growth opportunity for all clinical activities.
· Participates in the development and review of the annual Worldwide Marketing Plan. The candidate is responsible for overall positioning in the market place, and short and long term competitive strategies.
· Ensures market information is acquired, competitive activity is monitored, and customer needs are identified. Works within relevant program teams as a leader or member.
· Manages interface with Research & Development, Manufacturing, Sales and International Marketing teams to develop new products relevant to growth. Assures that worldwide customer requirements are prioritized by business unit opportunity and represented to the product development teams.
· Responsible for formal and informal market research as foundation for the understanding and quantifying market opportunities. Responsible for providing quantitative and well researched input to the Development Department regarding customer preferences.
· Builds a team of talent that has a strong strategic marketing perspective, hands-on ability, and can think and execute ideas and plans broader than the “Core” business. Carries out Human Resource management responsibilities such as hires, job assignments, termination recommendations, transfers, promotions, salary actions, and processing performance reviews on time.
· Implements the Company's Affirmative Action Plan as it applies to the function supervised. Monitors conduct and relationships among the associates supervised to prevent discriminatory acts or comments.
· Keeps abreast of the U.S. and non-U.S. regulations affecting own area of supervision/management and complies with those regulations. Initiates changes to BD Biosciences practices and procedures to support compliance requirements. Communicates the need for compliance to members of own functional area. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of the next level of management.
· Ensures Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) training through facilitating the development and implementation of safety awareness programs. Implements scheduled departmental safety inspections and ensures corrective action for identified hazards. Ensures EH&S policies and procedures are followed through education and training. Discusses and documents pertinent EH&S topics at staff meetings. Participates in EH&S programs.
-Must possess a Bachelor's degree (Preferably Life Science) A higher level degree a plus.
-Must have deep, hands-on knowledge of flow cytometry products as used in a research environment.
-Must have a minimum of 8 years proven experience leading change and growing a similar business through senior level leadership and effective marketing strategies.
-Must have proven experience managing a team with broad global influence.
-Must have demonstrated the ability to manage in an extended matrix reporting marketing team.
-Must have demonstrated the ability to shift between the tactical nature of running their business and looking ahead to manage for future growth.
Additional qualifications would include:
· A style that will motivate and generate enthusiasm within the teams for exploring new out-of-the-box ideas and thinking and builds a culture of innovation.
· The ideal candidate will have a strong underpinning of sales, marketing, and/or customer service. And they must be able to translate these experiences into a broader business and product plan.
· Because this individual will be representing BD Biosciences to the industry’s key opinion leaders, he/she must be professional, articulate, intelligent, and credible.
· The Sr. Director must be able to provide input and opinion about due diligence and investment and/or partnering opportunities. Therefore they should have been exposed to acquisitions or product joint ventures.
· An ability to engage in debate yet be disciplined, decisive and can influence change.
· Lead with and influence customer-centric solutions. Shows a commitment to a strategic marketing approach pursuing the best global solutions and partnerships.
· Demonstrated experience of building and energizing a business or team would be ideal.
· Because of the global nature of this role the candidate must be prepared to travel 20 to 30% of the time.
Becton Dickinson - 19 months ago