Bronx Lighthouse Charter School (BLCS) is accepting applications for an ELL Teacher/Coordinator for an immediate start.
Lighthouse Academy (LHA) ELL teachers are more than staff members and classroom managers. They help transform children’s lives by creating opportunities for a brighter future. We are seeking an ELL teacher who will make the commitment to teach with determination, integrity and purpose, embodying these essential qualities:
Past experiences and actions reflect a commitment to the LHA mission, vision, core values
A passion and ability to build and sustain the LHA K-12 model in a high need, urban environment
Work in schools that demonstrates a sense of urgency and the relentless pursuit of high academic student achievement
Reflective, self-aware and adaptable to communication and work styles of others
Critical thinker and problem solver who takes initiative
Belief in the power of collaboration and works to build a collaborative culture with LHA network, community, staff, families and students
A Lighthouse Academy ELL teacher provides direct service to students, consults with other professionals, consults and discusses issues with parents, plans, delivers, and evaluates instructional outcomes, and conducts the research needed to perform the essential functions of the position. The direct instruction is delivered in a classroom, media center, laboratory, and as a field experience. Consultation with parents, other professionals, and agencies may take place outside of the school. The essential functions for our ELL teachers are as follows:
Examples of Work:
- Plans and delivers instruction using approved methods for assigned students.
- Participates in the New Teacher Induction Program.
- Conducts approved assessments as scheduled.
- Uses data from assessments to modify curriculum and instruction.
- Provides corrective feedback to students and re-teaches as necessary to ensure that the students have mastered the objectives.
- Conducts research, reads professional literature, reflects, in the subject area of the assignment.
- Communicates with parents.
- Implements the Lighthouse Academies, Inc. curriculum, which includes the incorporation of the arts in daily instruction.
- Implements modifications in a student's education plan that is required by an IEP, 504 Plan, bilingual education program and/or federal, state, and municipal laws; and, attends meetings required.
- Consults with other school staff as necessary to complete the functions of the position.
- Utilizes preventive discipline methodology with assigned students.
- Participates in IEP meetings as required.
- Develops an Individual Professional Development Plan for approval by the principal.
- Completes written reports, and assigned administrative tasks related to these functions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education
- Teaches curriculum for assigned subjects.
- Administers language assessments.
- Completes home visits.
- Prepares materials in the home language of the student for parents.
- Administers assessments, corrects student work, and confers with students on the results
- Writes lesson plans.
- Maintains student records as required by school policy.
- Participates in meetings as requested.
- Collaborates with other teachers and staff in the implementation of the arts-based Lighthouse Academies, Inc. curriculum.
- Make referrals as may be necessary to complete the essential functions of the position.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
Either a state approved certificate or a state in ESL or bilingual education.
Student teaching or equivalent experience required. Demonstrated ability to train other teachers to detect students who are limited English proficient.
Fluent in Spanish
Strong desire to work within an innovative, urban educational program
Proven track record of raising student achievement scores in an urban environment
Ability to use data to inform instruction and decision-making related to student achievement
Ability to turn best practices into high quality, goal-driven results
Highly effective writing, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate with a varied audience
Data management tools, organizational tools, computer skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)
Lighthouse Academies - 10 months ago
Lighthouse Academies is committed to improving the educational opportunities for children. If you would like us to assist you in creating...