PEER 1 Hosting is one of the world's leading IT hosting providers. The company is built on two obsessions: Ping & People. Ping, represents its commitment to best-of-breed technology, founded on a high performance 10GB FastFiber Network connected by 18 state-of-the-art data centers, 21 points-of-presence and 10 colocation facilities throughout North America and Europe. People, represents its commitment to delivering outstanding customer service to its more than 10,000 customers worldwide, backed by a 100 percent uptime guarantee and 24x7x365 FirstCall Support. PEER 1's portfolio includes Managed Hosting, Dedicated Servers under the ServerBeach brand, Colocation and Cloud Services. Founded in 1999, the company is headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, with European operations headquartered in Southampton, UK.
We're currently seeking a Data Center Administrator III to join our team! You will be part of a specialized Data Center Operations team covering a 24/7/365 shift pattern. Our Data Center Operations Technicians and Administrators are at the heart of our North American and European operations and are responsible for building, configuring, deploying and supporting servers on behalf of our customers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Data Center Operations:
- Keep the data center secure, organized, clean, and efficient.
- Monitor servers for hardware and software alerts to ensure a high level of data integrity and availability.
- Work on internal and customer facing support tickets and interact directly with customers.
- Work with other departments to ensure that Operations service levels are being met and exceeded.
- Maintain accurate inventory of data center assets.
- Provide feedback to management and Engineering to help streamline internal documentation and procedures.
- Provide remote hands for customers within local or remote data center(s).
- Enforce company security policies and other compliance requirements.
- Assist the Data Center Manager with high-level technology planning and design, accurately defining short and long-term objectives and present/future resource requirements.
- Responsible for scheduling and performing internal training to local and remote employees.
- Successfully handling technical escalations from local or remote employees related to projects, daily tasks and customer facing support tickets.
- In-depth knowledge on how to assemble and troubleshoot server hardware.
- Physical installation and removal of servers and network equipment
- Perform upgrades to existing systems, such as servers, storage arrays, and equipment racks.
- Assure the secure destruction of data as per policy on decommissioned systems.
- Understanding of RAID technology, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Intermediate understanding of Linux Operating Systems including Red Hat, CentOS, and Debian.
- Intermediate understanding of Windows Operation Systems including Windows 2003, and Windows 2008.
- Troubleshoot problems with initial Operating System installation, and connectivity.
- Ability to utilize data recovery tools and applications for Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- Solid understanding of VMware virtualization and cluster concepts.
- General understanding of SAN storage based on Fiber Channel.
- Intermediate configuration and installation of network hardware including switches, firewalls, and routers.
- Intermediate understanding of firewall and load balancing technologies and principles.
- Network troubleshooting including switch port and firewall analysis.
- Network monitoring using INMON traffic flow analysis, and MRTG graphs.
- Working knowledge of standard TCP and UDP services, including TCP/IP protocols such as telnet, ssh, ftp, smtp.
- Immaculate Ethernet/Fibre cabling and labeling for new and existing clients.
- Solid understanding on how to terminate Cat5, Cat5E, Cat6 Ethernet cables.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of fire detection and suppression systems.
- General knowledge in HVAC, UPS, and generator operation.
- General understanding of electrical concepts.
- Monitor and troubleshoot data center infrastructure issues (HVAC, UPS, Generator, etc…)
- Ability to lift loads of at least 50 lbs.
- Excellent organization and follow-up skills.
- Excellent and effective customer service, communication and interaction skills.
- Properly articulate ideas, suggestions, and provide positive and constructive feedback.
- Manage multiple activities and projects.
- Work independently, without direct supervision.
- Anticipate, identify, diagnose, and solve critical problems.
- Work effectively with all departments to achieve common goals.
- Build relationships with our customers in order to understand and support their business needs.
- Sense of fun and play and enjoy a fast paced dynamic environment.
- A + certification (preferred) or equivalent work experience required.
- Network + or CCNA certification (preferred) or equivalent work experience required.
- Juniper certification (preferred) or equivalent work experience required.
- Linux + or LPI certification (preferred) or equivalent work experience required.
- Microsoft certification (preferred) or equivalent work experience required.
- Please click on the Apply button below to submit your cover letter and resume
- Closing Date: We are committed to hiring the best people for our PEER team, therefore this position will remain open until we find the right fit! Be sure to apply right away, we don't want to miss the opportunity to meet our next superstar.
PEER 1 Hosting - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard