Birchbox is looking for Computer Science Undergraduates, Masters and PhD students for internships in 2013 to work in the following technology areas: |
The things we look for most in interns are smarts, passion, and a solid foundation.
- Development of customer facing features - you will bring your passion for seamless user experience and elegant back-end code to developing features that our customers use on our website every day.
- Data analytics and machine learning - using your knowledge of statistics and machine learning, you will work on the software APIs that personalize every aspect of the Birchbox customer experience, from what people receive in their boxes to what they see on the site and in emails.
- Algorithms and operations research - if you thrive on tackling complex optimization problems from design through to implementation, then you will be kept busy creatively optimizing the way we design Birchboxes and allocate them to customers.
- Software systems infrastructure and performance - if you are a backend hacker or software architect in the making, you will work on building scalable distributed services, profiling and benchmarking.
Tech @ Birchbox
The technology team at Birchbox is responsible for development (and maintenance) of the company°s customer-facing sites (in the United States, France, the UK, and Spain), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 110+-person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies: Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails, Java and PHP services; and Python, Perl and R scripts. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Our team spans software engineering, technical operations, product, and data science. Our challenges include:
Why it°s great to work at Birchbox
- evolving our software and systems architecture to support a rapidly growing customer base across multiple countries and languages;
- designing and implementing the best user experience for our customers; We are striving to revolutionize online retail.
- using data, complex algorithms, and statistics, to personalize the Birchbox experience for our customers, both offline and online.
- The uncommon chance to be at the start of something huge. We dream big. We run fast. We love a challenge.
- The chance to build a fresh infrastructure to express better solutions to old and new problems.
- The opportunity to work on conceiving, designing and building a next-generation ecommerce experience.
- We think Espresso, Cake, Cookies, Chocolate, and Cambodian Sandwiches are food groups. Which is part of the reason why we also believe in working out in the office. Push-ups anyone?
- We love our work, our team, and our customers.
Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase grooming, beauty, and lifestyle products. We combine a monthly subscription service with original editorial content and a fully integrated e-commerce shop. Every month, members sample high-end products targeted to fit their personal profile and behavior, learn about them through our content, and purchase full-size versions of the products they like. Our platform provides our brand partners with an innovative and efficient way to access new customers.
Birchbox launched in the Fall of 2010 and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York. We are backed by top VC firms, including Accel Partners and First Round Capital. In September 2012, Birchbox expanded internationally with the acquisition of the Paris based discovery service JolieBox, operating in France, the UK, and Spain. You can get a feel for the buzz about Birchbox, by searching for us on YouTube: http://birch.ly/nl6nVp. For traditional media coverage, checkout our press page: http://www.birchbox.com/press.
Birchbox has offices in New York, Paris, London and Barcelona.