The Health and Wellness Intern is responsible for assisting in the coordination and management of exercise and wellness offerings to the Independent Living residents. They are also responsible for functions that take place in the Heritage Oaks Fitness Room. This position is accountable to the Health &Wellness Coordinator.
1. Lead exercise classes.
2. Lead and implement all aspects of Active Care Wellness Program.
3. Develop a monthly Health and Wellness newsletter for residents. Maintain an informational bulletin board on variety of health and wellness-related topics, and educational materials for residents.
4. Design marketing and promotional materials for all wellness programs.
5. Develop and maintain rapport with other department personnel to ensure effective exchange of information regarding residents and timely communication for posting offerings to residents.
6. Help conduct programs designed to change client behaviors. (e.g. fitness, nutrition/weight loss, stress management, health education etc.)
7. Work with the Thrive Committee offering Health and Wellness options to staff and their families.
This is an unpaid internship.
1. Commitment to quality services for the residents.
2. Strong communication/listening skills.
3. Strong organization and follow-up skills.
4. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
5. Ability to maintain and protect the confidentiality of information.
6. Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
7. Ability to relate well to the elderly.
8. Ability to work in a partnership environment which fosters effective teamwork in meeting the mission of Oakwood.
9. Ability to perform heavy lifting duties which include the equivalency of lifting up to and over 25 lbs., repeated bending and stooping, prolonged walking and standing, and frequent pushing and pulling movements.
10. Ability to adhere to Attendance Policy by being punctual.
11. Ability to adhere to a busy schedule on a daily basis.
12. Ability to coordinate and supervise planned exercise programs.
13. Ability to lead exercise classes of varying physical abilities and adapt tasks as necessary to accommodate resident limitations.
EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
1. Prefer some experience working with geriatrics.
2. Involved or enrolled in Fitness, Recreation, Wellness or related educational program.
4. Knowledge of exercise classes and wellness programming.
5. Experience in leading exercise classes.
6. CPR Preferred.
Oakwood Village - 18 months ago
Helping older adults lead lives of growth, happiness, health and security has been the focus of Oakwood Lutheran Senior Ministries for more...