- Under general supervision and following established and detailed procedures sets up coffee service area for service. Serves food and beverage items, rings them into computer cash register system and receives cash or credit. Cleans the work area prior to, during and after service. Maintains adequate supplies of food and non-food items in the service area. Maintains positive customer relations and impeccable appearance standards at all times.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
- Set up and break down Coffee Central area for coffee service. Obtain pots, utensils, food and non-food items to the serving area prior to, during and/or after coffee service.
- Prepares coffee, tea and assorted beverages and arranges equipment for beverage service. Cleans related equipment, e.g. coffee machines, toaster, bakery cases, bagel racks, trucks, refrigerators, etc. after use utilizing the appropriate cleaning equipment and solutions.
- Serves food items, adhering to portion control and service standards to customers. Uses appropriate serving utensils such as knives, spoons, spatulas, tissue and wax paper.
- Maintains adequate supply of food items in the refrigerators, bakery cases and bagel racks. Maintains adequate supply of non-food items in cabinets and under counters. Alerts manager if running low on an item.
- Closely observes safety, proper food handling storage and food temperature control procedures following department standards.
- Cuts, trays and transports food items from Bake Shop, wraps for storage or disposes of leftover food items.
- Cleans preparation areas in Bake Shop, Coffee Central and related service areas prior to, during and after service by washing walls, counters, ceilings, doors, windows, signs, etc., by the use of harsh cleaning solutions and sponges, cleaning cloths and the like. Cleans all equipment and participates in special cleaning.
- Receives, replenishes and/or stores supply items such as coffee cases, paper goods cases, beverage case, etc., in appropriate location within the service or storage area.
- Assists customers in obtaining food services in a courteous and helpful manner. Promotes food sales. Responds to changes in service and guides fellow employees to adjust with changes of menu and service.
- Accurately rings in all foods purchased by the Retail Service customers.
- Accurately debits cost centers, fund numbers or platinum plates for all credit meals. Follows all established procedures to insure correct cashing and receiving of cash for customers.
- Follow all established procedures for documenting errors in cashing procedures.
- Follow all policies and procedures as described in the Cashier Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Must be able to do basic mathematics, e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- 1-3 years of cashiering experience preferred.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach and lift weights averaging 10 lbs. May lift weights up to 30 lbs.
- May push pull carts averaging 40 lbs.
- Must be able to read, speak, write and understand English.
- Must be able to communicate with the public and have good customer relations’ skills.
- Should be a high school graduate or have the equivalent GED. (preferred)
- Works in a coffee shop environment where there is physical discomfort due to varying levels of temperature, noise and the like.
- Stands for 100% of the workday.
- Sweeps and mops floors, cleans equipment and food services using appropriate cleaners
- Must be able to negotiate in a cramped workspace.
- Immerses hands in soap, rinse and sanitizing solutions.
Massachusetts General Hospital - 20 months ago