Senior Researcher and Technology Analyst-RES0000319
The automobile industry is going through its biggest transformation in a hundred years and the changes will touch all aspects of daily living from mobile devices to clean energy. To ensure General Motors is at the forefront of such change, the GM Advanced Technology Silicon Valley Office (ATSVO) is opening a position for a Senior Researcher and Technology Analyst. GM ATSVO is a strategic arm of GM R&D, with strong ties to GM Ventures. Our mission is to discover, evaluate, and capture value from new and innovative technologies, concepts, companies, and people, primarily in the SF Bay Area. Value capture ranges from integrating new features into GM cars, leading GM investments in startups, and even forming new business models.. You will be part of a team concentrating on interdisciplinary research and development projects in the fields of embedded computing, wireless connectivity, infotainment and telematics, human machine interface (HMI), advanced materials, cleantech, software developer ecosystems, and social media. This position involves frequent travel, in particular to Detroit, and requires independent, flexible, and highly self-motivated engineers and technologists to work on advanced technology projects at GM.
In the context of this position, you will:
- Identify new trends, technologies, and concepts relevant to GM and its customers by actively participating the vibrant Silicon Valley event circuit ( conferences, Meetups, VC portfolio presentations, open houses, technology forums, developer conventions, etc.).
- Leverage your professional and alumni networks to gain early access to relevant technologies and companies.
- Initiate regular company contacts and visits.
- Manage short collaborative projects with local companies to assess the automotive value and feasibility of integration of new technologies, features, and concepts.
- Perform due diligence on potential GM Ventures investments from both a technical and business perspective.
- Maintain regular and persistent presence at GM’s R&D HQ in Warren, MI to learn and understand GM’s needs and grow your personal GM network.
- Work with your colleagues in Detroit to get your projects adopted by production teams or business process managers.
- Conduct literature surveys and generate technical briefs.
- Generate proof-of-concept in-vehicle prototypes.
Your skills include:
- Knowledge of Silicon Valley and the high-tech industry.
- Willingness to learn about the automotive industry and the requirements differentiating automotive electronics from consumer electronics.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills as well as the ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with (remote and local) peers through regular reporting, publication and presentations.
- Willingness to travel [~25%], primarily to Detroit to guarantee successful adoption of your projects into GM’s product development chain or business processes.
- Desire to see the fruits of your labor realized in actual production vehicles and the willingness to remain engaged in a particular project long after the technical feasibility has been proven.
- Vision for future technology trends and their impact on the automotive industry.
- High level of creativity and strategic thinking.
- Technical Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 5 years of professional experience in automotive, high-tech or related industries.
- Extensive and broad technical expertise and demonstrable capabilities (illustrated by successful implementation of past and current projects) in at least one of the following:
- Chip and board level embedded platforms, integration of consumer electronics with embedded and distributed networks.
- PC, mobile, or web-based applications
- Cloud computing, streaming and packet-based communications, media transport mechanisms and DRM methodologies.
- Mechamatronics, advanced materials, sensors and actuators. Comfortable with MEMS, Nano, Wireless, RF, CMOS, etc.
- Wireless networking (WAN and LAN), communication protocols, infrastructure requirements, performance analysis, and network topology. Current and future wireless standards.
- Human-Machine Interaction, including DSP, speech processing, voice in/output, text to speech, GUI’s, multi-modal interfaces for immersive environments.
- Experience in bringing enterprise or consumer products to market, from concept to customer delivery and support.
- Experience in startup operations and venture financing, either from an investor and/or entrepreneur perspective.
- Experience with standards committees and industry groups.
- Experience in corporate strategy and business development.
- MS or PhD in a technical field (EECS or ME preferred).
- MBA preferred.
- 8+ years of professional experience.
- Technical experience in 2 or more of the above areas.
Location: Palo Alto, CA.
Primary Location: US-CA-Palo Alto
Posting Date : May 6, 2013, 4:54:04 PM - Ongoing
Job: Research and Development
The Scientist Careers - 11 months ago
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...