The Target Category Manager is responsible for analyzing retail POS to identify consumer trends which will aid in generating solid recommendations to grow retail sales for the category. This involves working directly with Buyer(s) in respective categories where Heinz holds the Captaincy. Major responsibilities include: updating all planograms, preparing reports and presentations to support recommendations.
The Category Manager is also responsible for working with the Sales Team to analyze and recommend strategies to increase brand share and Target's share within total U.S. Food for the respective categories.
Work with Customer/Buying Team:
- Facilitates the exposure and penetration of CatMan and provides primary category leadership partnership by increasing category sales and aiding in fact-based/strategic selling.
- Strong contribution leveraging shopper insights and trends to uncover sales opportunities for Target, Sales Team and internal departments to grow Target's share of total food
- Consistent reporting to Target Buyer(s) and Heinz Target Team to include: Weekly and monthly category templates, New item tracking, Total category profitability, Trend reporting, Brand/Vendor/Item scorecards, Test tracking, Investigate ad-hoc questions, Share best practices
Work with Heinz Field Sales Team:
- Proactive alignment of priorities and objectives with Buyer(s)
- Use this alignment to set category best practice principles for distribution, merchandising, shelving, and pricing
- Conduct analysis and research to develop strategic platform for the assigned category
- Create and present specific category plans providing unbiased analysis, interpretation, and recommendations to improve category performance
- Execute scorecard process to increase category captaincies and to secure minimum of fair share of sku's, facings and best practice configuration
- Own customer assortment review process. Provide recommendations on product mix to enhance category process. Own entire planogram process for gold standard shelving at HQ level
- Maintain up-to-date category management information ' including weekly and monthly scorecards (and meetings to discuss scorecards & recommendations)
- Work to extend the impact and capabilities of category management for Heinz at Target
- Develop relationship broadly within Target as Category Consultant
- Provide ongoing thought leadership insights to trends and market place opportunities
- Understands Target core business issues and helps develop actionable shopper insights into the business (GRM)
- Demonstrates knowledge of in-store activities within Target stores and comp markets (trading partners)
- Uphold confidentiality of multiple vendor financials
Work with Extended Heinz Team:
- Clearly communicate category strategies and tactics to achieve profitable volume growth priorities and objectives
- Communicate business opportunities and recommend action plans by working with Target Team to develop persuasive fact based turnkey and custom sales presentations
- Informally educate on availability of shopper insights, how to interpret and incorporate
- Provide support for all new item introductions with appropriate category management information
- Contribute to key customer meetings (T2T, Answers training session)with Insights in order to further develop category strategies and tactics
- Consult with BDM to prepare business reviews, presentations for periodic sales calls, and annual plans that result in increased business
- Utilize consumption/POS databases to identify trends, potential problems, and opportunities; Develop corrective action or proactive changes to grow sales
- Lead the development of detailed team analysis to support strategic and tactical category plans
- Partner with brand team and category development team to develop category strategies to ensure the delivery of profitable volume growth
- Own process for gathering all pertinent materials, delegating project deadlines for Target-specific presentations
- Achieve an unsurpassed level of familiarity, insight, knowledge about Heinz categories including shopper behavior (purchase behavior, demographics, trends, competition)
- Engage CBP and CCI teams against priority categories and market movers to conduct customer specific research. Using retailer insights within a specific marketplace context, determine implications and incorporate into appropriate distribution, shelving, merchandising and pricing account specific tactics
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, or Finance required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Consumer Packaged Goods industry
- Must be able to interface with all levels associates, vendors, and at the customer
- Advanced knowledge of syndicated data systems (Nielsen, Answers)
- Advanced ability of Excel, Powerpoint
- Superior P.C. and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong technical sophistication, analytical & reporting skills
- Knowledge/systems a plus: ProSpace, Apollo, Info Retriever, Spectra, Shopper Card, and AC Nielsen
Travel as needed for trend visits, comp shops and training
This position will be based in the Target Sales Hub in Edina, Minn.
Reporting to the Target Team Lead; however this position is to support Target Cateman categories with key responsibility to the Buyer(s) and dotted line to Category Business Planning.
H.J. Heinz Company - 2 years ago
H.J. Heinz Finance Company is a subsidiary of H.J. Heinz Company (Heinz). It conducts its food business through two segments: North American...