The Carroll County Times, a daily newspaper with a circulation of 25,000, located in Westminster, Md., is seeking a features/entertainment reporter to join the news staff.
The successful candidate will possess excellent writing skills, be web- and social media-savvy, have a knack for finding interesting features and a willingness to do everything from creating Sunday enterprise packages for A1 and covering breaking news to attending town council meetings and writing obituaries. Candidate should thrive in team-based environment and be willing to step in and assist other beat reporters when necessary.
A B.A. degree and at least 2 years professional journalism experience are required.
As a member of the reporting team, the features/entertainment reporter will be responsible for:
• contributing as an active member of the reporting team;
• meeting deadlines with copy that is clean of spelling and grammatical errors, placing the highest emphasis on accuracy, ensuring Carroll County Times readers of complete and fair coverage;
• creating weekly centerpieces for the Times' entertainment section, Encore, including a round-up of regional entertainment options;
• unearthing and executing compelling stories for the Sunday Life & Times feature front;
• working a 5-day 40-hour week, Tuesday though Saturday, including at least one night shift each week, which includes covering the police beat and spot news and writing obituaries on Saturdays;
• contributing online content to the Times’ Web site, carrollcountytimes.com. This includes news updates for the web, shooting and producing online video, and maintaining a blog;
• assisting other reporters on county issues that relate directly to their beats;
• enterprise stories as assigned, including the Sunday enterprise rotation;
• contributing to the Times' social media presence via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc;
• other stories and duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should send resumes and three writing samples to:
S. Wayne Carter, City Editor
Carroll County Times
201 Railroad Ave., Westminster, MD 21157
or apply by e-mail to: email@example.com with the subject line Reporter opening. No phone calls please.
Deadline for applications is Friday, Aug. 23.
JournalismJobs.com - 7 months ago