GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: The technician will work with the PI to perform laboratory experiments, including animal experiments, relating to the PI’s projects. The technician will also be responsible for maintaining accurate and concurrent records of experiments performed. Research Assistant Level II is available at the PIs discretion, based on the candidates experience.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties (approximate percentage of time spent for each in parentheses):
1. Performance of laboratory experiments related to lung pathophysiology, which include but are not limited to cell culture, molecular biology, biochemistry and immunostaining (60% time)
2. Routine care for laboratory mice colony (10% time)
3. Performing animal experiments (15% time)
4. Responsible for maintaining detailed records of experiments (10% time)
5. Maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies and assisting with laboratory supply ordering (5% time)
6. Additional laboratory duties as needed
QUALIFICATIONS: BS or BA with relevant laboratory coursework or laboratory work experience required. Examples of relevant prior laboratory experience would be work or volunteer experience in a biomedical research laboratory performing RNA extraction, Western blotting, PCR analyses, or cell culture experiments/cell line maintenance.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: 1. Excellent oral and written communication skills
2. Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
3. Careful attention to detail
4. Familiarity with computer databases
5. Self-directed learning and ability to work independently
6. Familiarity with basic laboratory protocols
WORKING CONDITIONS: This day shift job will be performed in a research laboratory and animal facility of an academic hospital. The laboratory is located in the Thorn Research Building. Basic laboratory equipment and supplies are located either in the laboratory or nearby and is readily accessible during normal working hours.
An EEO, AA, VEVRAA Employer
Brigham and Women's Hospital
- 2 years ago - save job
For over 150 years, Brigham and Women’s Hospital has been the birthplace of legendary medicine. A merger of three of Harvard’s...