What You Would Do: Are you looking to write code that helps clients solve big, complex, real-world problems? In this position, you’ll have an opportunity to work at a variety of levels of the software stack and wear a lot of hats. As in most truly interesting jobs, this role includes a mixture of exciting heavy lifting and bit-by-bit scaffolding.
Some days are spent doing radically new design and development work, and some days go towards maintenance hacking, glue coding, and contextually necessary wheel reinvention. You might find yourself optimizing low-level algorithms to achieve (say) adequately fast message-passing performance between loosely coupled application components and then the next day work on solving a UI design problem revolving around strategies for effective presentation of a mixture of 2D and 3D data. On another day you might, for example, be working on a suite of visualization and control applications for a huge simulation system.
We try to deliver working code in bite-sized pieces, quickly and iteratively. We spend a lot of time making sure that we’re integrating our new applications with our clients’ existing legacy infrastructures and tools. We also refactor, generalize, and incorporate into our core platform as much of the application code that we write for clients as possible.
Other critical projects that you can contribute to include: the embedding of browser components into 3D and distribute d visualization environments, maintenance and extension of the intranet we use to coordinate work and keep track of what we collectively know, and the design and implementation of a more extensive and community-oriented oblong.com internet panoply.
What We Look For: If you are a broadly experienced programmer who would like to work in a small-team context developing user-facing applications built on a new gestural/spatial computing platform, we’d like to hear from you.
Skills & Requirements
Nice to Have:
- Fluency in (though perhaps not actual love of) C++ programming
- Actual love of programming in general
- Experience writing code in a professional software development environment
- Demonstrated ability to make architecture and feature-set design decisions
- Demonstrated ability to explicate and document design and architecture decisions
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and follow a spec where one happens to already exist
About Oblong Industries
- Experience designing and implementing user interfaces
- Low-level graphics hacking experience (Open GL or similar)
- Willingness to travel and interact with clients
joelonsoftware - 12 months ago
Oblong Industries is the developer of the g-speak spatial operating environment.
The SOE's combination of gestural i/o, recombinant networ...