Successful candidate will be part of a team tasked with sustainment of an operational satellite ground system. The sustainment effort applies troubleshooting and implementation skills to resolve hardware, software, and system level problem reports. Design and development skills are also needed when the assignment involves adding an enhancement to the system.
Regular non-represented employees hired at entry level with recently earned BS degree and sent to graduate school to earn Master's degree. Upon completion of graduate program, employee returns to Sandia to begin employment service requirement. Number of positions available each year dependent upon Laboratory budget.
While on roll as a full time Sandia National Laboratories employee, pursues a graduate degree in electrical, computer, optical, mechanical, computer science, or other engineering discipline at an accredited university on a full-time basis. Works full-time on site at Sandia for at least two months before beginning graduate studies and while on summer break. Upon completing the master's degree program, returns to Sandia to join the hiring organization's technical team and works for a specified period of time fulfilling a service requirement. Meets Affirmative Action (AA) strategic hiring program requirements.
Primary Job Duties
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Pursues a technical master's degree that fulfills Sandia's business needs.
- Works with the hiring manager to determine how the planned program of study may be used to accomplish work relevant to Sandia's needs.
- Completes the master's degree within a specified time period.
- Serves as a regular staff member in a science, engineering, or technology specialty.
- Master's degree must be earned in three semesters, four trimesters or five quarters for a non-thesis option or four semesters, five trimesters or six quarters for thesis option.
- Meets service requirement of two months of employment for each month of school completed in the Master's Fellowship Program (MFP).
- Ability and desire to obtain a Master's degree in an area of critical need.
- Ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Energy security clearance (obtaining a security clearance - requires U.S. citizenship).
- Ability to maintain a minimum passing cumulative GPA throughout the MFP program.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form.
- A track record of leadership and involvement in extracurricular activities, including professional associations.
- Self-directed, innovative, organized, and able to work in a large team environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and an interest in working in a multidisciplinary laboratory environment.
- Knowledge of object-oriented software development fundamentals
- Experience with C++ and Java software languages and Linux OS
- Self-directed, customer-focused, and possess strong communication, teaming, and analytical skills.
- Must possess or be eligible for a Q clearance
- Demonstrated experience with the USNDS program requirements and/or USNDS ground systems.
- Knowledge of Rational Rose Use Case requirements management, Python scripting, or AccuRev configuration management
- Background in satellite telemetry processing would also be desirable.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L or Q level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Sandia is a Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory; as such, many of our jobs require a DOE security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If this position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance, U.S. citizenship and employee eligibility for clearance processing will be required at the time of hire.
If you hold dual citizenship and you accept a job offer for a position that requires a DOE-granted security clearance, you will be asked by DOE to renounce your foreign citizenship and retain only your U.S. citizenship.
At Sandia you will receive many benefits as a valued employee of a premier national multi-program engineering and science research laboratory. In our Total Rewards package you will enjoy competitive pay, great benefits, a stimulating, positive environment and learning opportunities that will help build your career. More information may be found on our Careers website.
Sandia National Laboratories - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard