The Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer holds a key position in the design and advancement of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives for bio-devices for the global poultry industry. This vacancy is to be filled with a highly creative, seasoned, Hands-On Mechanical Engineer, who will lead/participate in NPD programs for new applied bio-mechanical technology and devices from conceptualization to development and commercialization, including, idea generation, research, evaluation, product design, feasibility analysis, value assessment, product introduction, field application and commercialization. This position reports to the Director, Engineering Development and leads development initiatives internally through a matrix organization in addition to managing external consulting and design firms, along with collaborating with university research initiatives to accelerate NPD initiatives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize, Invent, Design, and Develop New/Improved Automated Mechanisms for Bio-Devices and medium to large size Automated Bio-Systems
- Create robust, reliable designs for Bio-Mechanical equipment with complex electromechanical, electro-pneumatic, user interface, and fault tolerance requirements.
- Develop and document designs in compliance with ISO Quality System requirements.
- Integrate new technology, techniques, and concepts to enhance functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce production costs.
- Lead/support internal contract design resources as required.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and Contract Manufacturers to plan and execute Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability activities
- Work with project team members to identify and mitigate development risks and produce development plans.
- Participate in product risk analysis activities.
- BSME (MSME or equiv. preferred) with a minimum of 15 years of Hands-On Design Engineering experience, 5 years of project management experience and 5 years experience in a Lead Design role. Previous experience with Automated Capital Equipment Design is a MUST, experience with Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in conceptualizing, architecting, designing, testing and implementing complex multi-functional electro-mechanical, pneumatic and fluid measurement/ dispensing systems /subsystems.
- Demonstrated design and implementation experience utilizing a wide range of mechanical fabrication techniques and process, including Metal/Plastic Molding, Welding, Material Forming, Machining and Casting for variety of materials.
- Strong Hands-On knowledge of 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred), and engineering analysis SW (i.e. COSMOS ).
- Working knowledge of robotics/automated systems, motion control/stepper servo systems, Laboratory/Medical/Bio-Medical equipment/instrumentation and applicable standards is desirable.
- Interactions with biological/scientific community within previous design activity is a plus.
- Experience in tolerance analysis of assemblies and detailed parts
- Broad multi-disciplinary engineering knowledge in new product development/introduction, cost reduction, Product Life Cycle analysis, testing, and quality improvements with emphasis on mechanical, pneumatic and fluid control systems and problem solving techniques related to automated equipment.
- Extensive mechanical engineering design experience with working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), design for Six Sigma, DFM, DFT, and DFR. Knowledgeable in safety regulation, such as CE, NEC, NFPA and OSHA requirements and application to machine safety.
- Broad engineering knowledge in manufacturing operations, including new product introduction, cost reduction, and quality improvements. Experience in automated device industry is required. Demonstrated problem solving experience is required.
- Experience with Engineering Change Management processes desired.
- Experience retrieving, interpreting and communicating field data is a plus.
- Ability to concurrently handle multiple project assignments.
Working Conditions: Mostly office and Engineering Laboratory environment, Requires 2-4 trips per quarter to visit vendors, attend meetings, customer sites (hatcheries)
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills required.
- Capable to influence senior leaders in the organization; ability to present ideas with impact and make compelling presentations
- Forward thinking individual able to focus on tasks at hand
- Team player, who can challenge the team to think out of the box.
- Creative problem solver with ability to execute ideas and stay focused on the end goal.
- Flexible and Adaptive; able to explore many ideas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Disclaimer: May perform other duties as assigned.
Pfizer Inc - 12 months ago
Pfizer pfabricates pfarmaceuticals pfor quite a pfew inpfirmities. The company is the world's largest research-based pharmaceuticals fi...