Please Apply Here: www.business.thomasnelson.com/employment
Hiring Range: $47 - $50k
HarperCollins Christian Publishing (HCCP) requires that Zondervan’s and Thomas Nelson’s acquisitions of the rights to publish works be memorialized in written agreements. The publishing groups provide the deal points for such acquisitions and the Contracts department then papers the deals and negotiates all contractual terms to final executed agreement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Personal Characteristics):
- Draft, negotiate terms as appropriate, and finalize author agreements. This requires a thorough knowledge and understanding of the contract language and the business and legal repercussions of any changes thereto. Each author agreement has thousands of dollars at stake (and sometimes hundreds of thousands) and each negotiation decision affects the long-term value of our company’s asset(s) and our company’s contractual obligations.
- Prepare contracts for works for hire and third party contributors, and amend agreements as necessary. This requires the same skills and understanding of the contractual rights and grants as they are in the original agreement to then be able to determine which, if any, section(s) need to be amended to accomplish our purpose.
- Assist publishers with interpreting, and ending/terminating contracts when appropriate.
- Process all executed contracts, including: initiation of first check requests; distribution via email to those in-house who need a copy; originals filed and sent to author/agent; and ingestion of document into the designated digital asset management system.
- Must have at least 4 years’ relevant experience in preparation of contracts
- Proven success managing multiple priorities and a high volume of work accurately and in a timely manner
- Contract drafting experience
- Detail-oriented, well organized, and able to function on independent basis
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and be flexible
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet responsibilities and deadlines
- Excellent computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel)
- College degree
- Five to 10 years’ experience in a book publishing contracts department
- Publishing agreement drafting and follow-through experience, including creation of original language
- Knowledge of contracts and contract language